Monday, April 13, 2020

Playlist For April 19, 2020: Suddenly Seymour...aka Cy!

So I am wandering (okay, pacing) my house, looking for something I can throw out/dust/polish/or incinerate. BECAUSE in the afternoons of what we can presently call Lock Down/Self Quarantine/Stay Home Or Die, instead of reaching for a waaaaay toooo early cocktail or that bag of Cool Ranch Doritos, I am trying to Swedish Death Clean. I mean, TIME hangs heavy, and if I don't want to end up asleep in my Barcalounger at 4pm because of a much toooo early Happy Hour OR 15 pounds heavier (see Cool Ranch reference and believe!) once we finish this jail sentence, I either have to bike like (or against) the wind (and I hate doing that when it's 40 degrees) or CLEAN like there is no tomorrow.

 Nothing gentle about it.

You DO know about Swedish Death Cleaning, right? That's one step past the "Does It Spark Joy" method of Marie Kondo. You look at your hoard of Hummels and hula hoops and paint-by-numbers and afghans and say, "Would my kids want these when I kick the bucket? Would my kids want to DEAL with these? Would my kids be pissed off that I kept all of this junk for them to throw out/dust/polish/or incinerate?" And if even ONE of those questions is answered with an internal "Nahhh", out it goes. And right now, like IMMEDIATELY, before you can change your mind, it goes! It's all tremendously fun to do, IF you are in the right mood. Petulant and pissy are perfect. And they've worked for me.



So I have a lot of bags and boxes going OUT. Once Goodwill opens again...BOOM. I'd do a bonfire, but codes and all. It gives me something to do, a sense of accomplishment, when there's nothing else to entertain me but watch Deep Space 9, 10 seasons of The West Wing, or comb the cat.

BUT Broadway! It remains a "sparks joy" element in my now-mundane life. I get to GO LIVE - a live- O on Sundays, so this coming week we'll hear from one of my favorite Bway composers, Cy (aka Seymour) Coleman (aka Kaufman). Huzzah! Cy of Sweet Charities and Twentieth Centuries and Seesaws. Okay, yes, a little Barnum and Wildcat, tho I'll play those on lower volume. But also City Of Angels, the best! Looking way forward to all of that.The bar is pretty low right now, but Le Coleman is lovely anytime. 



We will GET THERE. But damn. Wish for me (well, allll of us, actually) a bike-able 60 degrees, folks. And sun. And well-timed cocktails, hold the Doritos. Good luck holding your own.  :)


Seesaw (Ensemble, Seesaw)
Big Spender (Helen Gallagher, Thelma Oliver, Fan-Dango Girls,
       Sweet Charity)
I'm The Bravest Individual (Gwen Verdon, John McMartin, Sweet Charity)
Rich Man's Frug (Instrumental, Sweet Charity)
The Rhythm Of Life (Sammy Davis Jr., Ensemble, Sweet Charity)
Little Me (Virginia Martin, Nancy Andrews, Little Me)
Real Live Girl (Ensemble, Little Me)
I've Got Your Number (Swen Swenson, Little Me)
Goodbye (The Prince's Farewell) (Sid Caesar, Company, Little Me)
Hey Look Me Over! (Lucille Ball, Paula Stewart, Wildcat)
What Takes My Fancy (Lucille Ball, Don Tomkins, Wildcat)
The Colors Of My Life (Glen Close, Jim Dale, Barnum)
Join The Circus (Jim Dale, Company, Barnum)
Our Favorite Son (Keith Carradine, Ensemble, The Will Rogers Follies)
No Man Left For Me (Dee Hoty, The Will Rogers Follies)
Willamania (The Ziegfeld Chorines, The Will Rogers Follies)
Use What You Got (Sam Harris, The Life)
A Lovely Day To Get Out Of Jail (Pamela Isaacs, Lillias White, The Life)
Prologue - Theme From City Of Angels (James Naughton, City Of Angels)
The Buddy System (Rene Auberjonois, City Of Angels)
You Can Always Count On Me (Randy Graff, City Of Angels)
You're Nothing Without Me (James Naughton, Gregg Edelman, City
       Of Angels)
Stranded Again (Charles Rule, Hal Norman, Ensemble, On The
       Twentieth Century)
Veronique (Madeline Kahn, On The Twentieth Century)
Mine (Kevin Kline, John Cullum, On The Twentieth Century)
Five Zeros (Dean Dittman, George Coe, Imogene Coca, John Cullum,
       On The Twentieth Century)
Welcome To Holiday Inn (Michele Lee, Seesaw)
In Tune (Ensemble, Seesaw)
We've Got It (Ken Howard, Seesaw)
Chapter 54, Number 1909 (Tommy Tune, Ken Howard, Michele Lee, Seesaw)
It's Not Where You Start (Tommy Tune, Seesaw)

No comments:

Post a Comment