Saturday, July 6, 2019

Warm woolen mittens...


More of My Favorite Things:
 Judy Holliday,
who did both the original Broadway production (above)
and the movie (below) of 
Bells Are Ringing.
"I'm Going Back",
a song unfortunately left out of the movie version,
the work of Jule Styne, Betty Comden and Adolph Green.
Judy got a Tony out of that staged performance,
as did her co-star, Sydney Chaplin.


Love the scene below...
Frank Gorshin and Judy, as beatniks sublime!


 No "favorites" show of mine would be complete
without some Elaine,
and "I'm Still Here" represents all of the Stritch Stuff I love.
Above, from Elaine Stritch At Liberty,
her one-woman show.



 Bandstand didn't last long on Broadway,
but a couple of songs make my top 100 list, for sure!
Like "Nobody"
with Corey Cott and Laura Osnes.
 

 John Lithgow has played a couple of
dirty rotten characters,
one from The Sweet Smell Of Success,
and another from Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (above AND below)
with Norbert Leo Butz and Sherie Rene Scott.
"Dirty Rotten Number"
Music: David Yazbek.



 Phyllis Newman and Orson Bean
in Subways Are For Sleeping (1961),
another Styne/Comden/Green creation
(I guess their shows are all favorites of mine!).
"I Just Can't Wait"
Phyllis was married to Adolph Green and STILL had to audition
for the part of Martha,
who wears a towel through most of the musical
(thinking she can't be evicted if she's not dressed?
I gotta try that!).
Orson (below) in game-show days.
 

I think I grew up with these folks:
Tom Poston, Kitty Carlisle, Bud Collyer and Orson Bean
on To Tell The Truth, from the 1960s.
Peggy Cass is AWOL. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment