Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Playlist for Sunday, March 13, 2016: Addle-Pated

Maybe it's the first waft of spring I'm getting from my opened windows, working its ADHD randomness on my brain. Maybe it's the 62 degree temps, tempting me to run outside and pick up sticks, shingles and other winter detritus, open my shed, and think "lawn chairs." Maybe it's the looming time change, with its promise of longer days and lower electric bills.  Whatever it is, this is one wacky playlist. It has everything but Alan Sherman and the King Sisters (tho I could always add).

Seemingly on random, we have It Ain't Nothin' But The Blues, Pal Joey, Funny Girl and The Lion King (please, someone find SOMETHING in common with these desperate desperadoes!). Ballads that won't leave a dry eye, by Elaine, Audra, Babs, and the Calloway gals (both Liz and Ann Hampton). Madeline Kahn and a crazy "Veronique" from On the Twentieth Century...Ron Taylor doin' a mean "I'm Your Hoochie Coochie Man"...and a Disney corner?  May the gods of musical theatre let me off with a mere warning slap.

Me, I don't mind the seemingly random picks. Perhaps there is a method to my madness (and if you figure it out, be the 5th caller and win BIG!). Like shuffling the tarot deck of Broadway, I draw the Fool. And that's a frickin' great card!


The Thrill Is Gone (C.E. Smith, It Ain't Nothin' But The Blues)
I'm The Greatest Star (Barbra Streisand, Funny Girl)
Who Taught Her Everything? (Kay Medford, Danny Meehan, Funny Girl)
The Music That Makes Me Dance (Barbra Streisand, Funny Girl)
Stranded Again (Charles Rule, Hal Norman, Ensemble, On The Twentieth   
         Century)
Mine (John Cullum, Kevin Kline, On The Twentieth Century)
Veronique (Madeline Kahn, John Cullum, On The Twentieth Century)
There's A Small Hotel (Frank Sinatra, Pal Joey)
My Funny Valentine (Trudi Erwin, dubbing for Kim Novak, Pal Joey)
Zip (Jo Ann Greer, dubbing for Rita Hayworth, Pal Joey)
That Terrific Rainbow (Ensemble, Pal Joey)
Stars And The Moon (Audra McDonald, Way Back To Paradise)
A Million Windows And I (Ann Hampton Calloway, Shoe String Revue)
I Never Know When (Elaine Stritch, Goldilocks)
Since You Stayed Here (Liz Calloway, Brownstone)
Circle Of Life (Ensemble, Lion King)
Work Song (Jimmy MacDonald, Mouse Chorus, Cinderella)
The Siamese Cat Song (Peggy Lee, The Lady And The Tramp)
Honor To Us All (Lea Salonga, Freda Foh Shen, Marni Nixon, Ensemble,
        Mulan           
One Last Hope (Danny Devito, Hercules)
Daarlin' Man (Melvyn Douglas, Jack MacGowran, Juno)
Song Of The Ma (Shirley Booth, Juno)
We're Alive (Ensemble, Juno)
Good Morning, Good Day (Ensemble, She Loves Me)
Tonight At Eight (Daniel Massey, She Loves Me)
Ilona (Jack Cassidy, Ensemble, She Loves Me)
A Trip To The Library (Barbara Baxley, She Loves Me)
Sweet Home Chicago (Gregory Porter, C.E. Smith, It Ain't Nothin' But The
         Blues)
Fever (Carter Calvert, It Ain't Nothin' But The Blues)
I'm Your Hoochie Coochie Man (Ron Taylor, It Ain't Nothin' But The Blues)

No comments:

Post a Comment