Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Playlist for Sunday, August 3, 2014: Summer Beverages...uhhh, can I get that iced?

Well, here we are in the middle of summer...presently out my window, bees are buzzing and the corn (not cotton. Hey, I live in the northeast!) is high. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't rise and shine, and for that we need COFFEE.  Hence, the trio of caffeination (is that a word?), with "Coffee, Black" from Big, "Quiet Coffee" with Sally Kellerman's sleazy alto-esque, and Charles Nelson Reilly's nervous breakdown without it! I've played this triumvirate before, but they remain favorites.  Hopefully, they're your's, too!

Other favorites are Sammy Davis Jr.'s "Night Song" from Golden Boy, which has a very urban jazzy score.  Folks had a problem with this new-to-Broadway sound, back in 1964, along with an interracial kiss.  Well, SOMEBODY had to start both of these well-needed trends.  Also, that wonderful Leslie Uggams' take on "My Own Morning" from Hallelujah, Baby...newly divorced and independent as I am, I can relate!

I've also included 3 Elaine Stritch numbers that I couldn't fit into last week's tribute show...yeah, I know, stop with the Elaine stuff.  But, you see, I can't! Especially love "If," which was from Two on the Aisle, my show's namesake.  Those Comden and Green lyrics get me every time!  

Whew.  I need more coffee....:)


Blow, Gabriel, Blow (Eileen Rodgers, Ensemble, Anything Goes)
Coffee, Black (Daniel H. Jenkins, Ensemble, Big)
Quiet Coffee (Sally Kellerman, Breakfast at Tiffanys)
Coffee Break (Charles Nelson Reilly, Ensemble, How to Succeed)
Pretty Women (Len Cariou, Edmund Lyndeck, Sweeney Todd)
Pretty Lady (Ensemble, Pacific Overtures)
Not a Day Goes By (Bernadette Peters, Merrily We Roll Along)
Night Song (Sammy Davis, Jr., Golden Boy)
My Own Morning (Leslie Uggams, Hallelujah, Baby!)
That's My Boy! (Elaine Stritch, The Milkman)
If (Elaine Stritch, Two on the Aisle)
The Beast in You (Elaine Stritch, Goldilocks)
Raining in My Heart (Bernadette Peters, Dames at Sea)


No comments:

Post a Comment