Monday, March 20, 2023

Playlist For Sunday, March 26, 2023: March Mad!

Are we done with Snow Gulag? Are we now in Mud Madness? Whichever climate that's landed THIS HOUR, we are "well seasoned" to quote Weather Whirling Dervish Kevin Williams. As I type, it's raining and my ditch...I mean my creek is overwhelming its banks, and mud is adding a certain non-panache to my yard. I chose to leave my flamboyance of flamingos (yes, herds of these babies are actually called a flamboyance) outside through the winter, so right now they're stuck in dirty snow, majorly askew and listing, and their necklaces are hardly sparkly! (Yes, they are festooned)...They will need to shape up, or be shipped out, come summer.



And well seasoned is how I feel. Every birthday, I hone my life in the world of Denial, and every year that gets harder to do. Like those faded, listing, pink birds, I need re-alignment (plus more mascara and better jewelry)!

And speaking of birthdays...was I? Anyway, we have missed a score or 7 of Broadway birthdays that flew by during the month of March. I've been distracted by wacky themes, and horridly neglected the natal days of many a star in that musical firmament. Like the Stephens (Sondheim and Schwartz), the Kander (of the Ebb variety), not to mention the Pearl, the Raul, the Phyllis and the Rex. In fact, so many birthdays and anniversaries that I fear we'll suffer whiplash at all the back and forthness involved.

 

Phyllis Newman in her towel "costume"
in Subways Are For Sleeping. 
That's Orson Bean, enjoying the "terry"?
Even though Newman's hubby, Adolph Green wrote the lyrics for that show,
she had to audition for the part of Martha.
She got the role AND a Tony!
(Maybe she got to keep the towel? Did they throw it in?)

Raul Julia, looking fetching-if-hairy, in Nine? 
Kiss of the Spider Woman?
On his way to CVS? 
(Didn't he always look this good?)
 

 Pearl Bailey in a scrumptious number...
is that a Grauman's Chinese Foo Dog in the background?

But before I sign off on all this foofaraw, I want to exhort you to take in a one-woman show that's coming up on March 24th: Beth Leavel is "in town" and will be performing her show, "It's Not About Me", at the OFC Creations Theatre in Brighton. I'm going! Beth singing, Beth storytelling, Beth diatribing (hopefully) sounds like FUN. Tickets are reasonable and a pre-theatre happy hour?? Yup. That's for me.

 

Beth in The Drowsy Chaperone (AS the drowsy chaperone)!

 

Meanwhile, we MUST make the most of Mud Season, and Mush On. Into April which is around the calendar corner. Hope "springs" eternal, and all that. 

P.S. It's now snowing. :(


 

Magic To Do (Ben Vereen, Company, Pippin)

One Man (Pearl Bailey, House Of Flowers)

It's De Lovely (Hal Linden, Barbara Lang, Anything Goes)

Guido's Song (Raul Julia, Nine)

I'm An Ordinary Man (Rex Harrison, My Fair Lady)

Broadway Baby (Bernadette Peters, Sondheim, Etc.)

Barcelona (Dean Jones, Susan Browning, Company)

Our Time (Lonny Price, Ann Morrison, Jim Walton, Merrily We Roll Along)

So Long, Big Guy (Jack Cassidy, It's A Bird...It's A Plane...It's Superman)

I Was A Shoe-In (Phyllis Newman, Subways Are For Sleeping)

Gauguin's Shoes (Lonny Price, Company, A Class Act)

A Certain Girl (David Wayne, Robert Goulet, The Happy Time)

Coffee Shop Nights (David Hyde Pierce, Jill Paice, Curtains)

70, Girls, 70 (Mildred Natwick, Company, 70, Girls, 70)

My Friends (Len Cariou, Angela Lansbury, Sweeney Todd)

Pretty Lady (Timm Fujii, Mark Hsu Syers, Patrick Kinser-Lau, Pacific Overtures)

Not A Day Goes By (Bernadette Peters, The Essential Sondheim)

Chanson (Sharon Lee-Hill, The Baker's Wife)

Love Song (Mathew James Thomas, Rachel Bay Jones, Pippin)

Popular (Kristin Chenowith, Wicked)

All The Best (Hunter Parrish, Ensemble, Godspell)

If You Could See Her (Joel Grey, Cabaret)

First You Dream (Karen Ziemba, Daniel McDonald, Steel Pier)

Cell Block Tango (Catherine Zeta-Jones, Cell Block Girls, Chicago)

The Little Things You Do Together (Elaine Stritch, Elaine Stritch At Liberty)

The Little Things You Do Together (Company, Company)

Side By Side By Side (Dean Jones, Company, Company)

No comments:

Post a Comment