Monday, March 13, 2023

Playlist for Sunday, March 19, 2023: Go West, Broadwayphile!

Ever wake up at 3am and NOT be able to get back to sleep? Of course you have! So what do YOU do? 

 


I get up, have 3-7 cups of coffee, review a playlist or 2, go to the gym (in the dark), attend an exercise class (yes, both), meet friends for lattes, drive home, and proceed to nap for 2 hours. This in no way affects my ability to (later) go to bed at 9:30pm and sleep MORE. Do all retirees do that? Ugh. And I don't know what to chalk it up to. The 0.5 glass of wine? The sweetened oatmilk (don't judge me)? The visions of tax returns dancing in my head? That's gotta be it. Or the combination of it ALL. Anyway, it took me a day and a half to recover from that sleep deprivation, and despite "healthy living", I fear another edition on the horizon.

Damn. When I was 21 (or 17 or 35, as Mr. Sinatra landmarked it), I could drink/eat/party invincibly, and with the exception of bumping into the walls of my shower on the "morning after", be just FINE. Now? I need an Exedrin, a foam roller, Celestial Seasonings, and cozy loooooong naps, plural. Old, cranky, infirm, and holed up in March WINTER!




 

So to assuage my gulag-y, easily off-tracked life, I carved another playlist. One that, no matter how I tried, did not excite. I can always tell when a playlist isn't "drivable" when I put off writing and researching the songs! So that list went south, and I looked WEST (like the wind that drives March into lion country around here) and there I found new inspiration. The Broadway Wild West Edition...with cowboys, fences, prairies, farms...all things YEE HAW. Okay, so it's pretty corny country, but I care not. It's fun stuff, it wrote itself, and what the heck's wrong with corn anyway? 

Take a look out yonder (and below) what I'll be a-playin' and join me. Clean off your boots, find that 10 gallon chapeau of your's, and hand me down that can o' beans, pardner. I'll save you a seat by the campfire! :)

 


 Thataway! (Karen Ziemba, Noah Racey, Ensemble, Curtains)

Don't Fence Me In (Bing Crosby, The Andrews Sisters)

Way Out West (Judy Kaye, J.Q. And The Bandits, Babes In Arms)

The Farmer And The Cowman Should Be Friends (Betty Garde, Ralph Riggs, Oklahoma!)

Kansas City (Lee Dixon, Oklahoma!)

I Cain't Say No (Gloria Graham, Oklahoma!)

Oklahoma! (Alfred Drake, Company, Oklahoma!)

I'm An Old Cowhand (Harry Connick Jr., 25)

Bidin' My Time (Cowboy Trio, Crazy For You)

Cactus Time In Arizona (Louise Carlyle, Girl Crazy)

The Surrey With The Fringe On Top (Alfred Drake, Oklahoma)

Doin' What Comes Natur'lly (Bernadette Peters, Annie Get Your Gun)

Moonshine Lullaby (Ethel Merman, Annie Get Your Gun)

Pore Jud In Daid (Gordon MacRae, Rod Steiger, Oklahoma)

The Ballad Of Johnny Blood (Company, Desperate Measures)

Home On The Range (Roy Rogers and the Sons Of The Pioneers)

The Streets Of Miami (Allan Sherman, My Son The Folksinger)

There's A Coach Coming In (Ensemble, Paint Your Wagon)

They Call The Wind Maria (Rufus Smith, Paint Your Wagon)

Wand'rin' Star (Lee Marvin, Paint Your Wagon)

The Lonesome Cowboy (Ensemble, Girl Crazy) 

Treat Me Rough (June Allyson, Mickey Rooney, Girl Crazy)

Joey, Joey, Joey (Art Lund, The Most Happy Fella)

Farming (Danny Kaye, Let's Face It!)

How Ya Gonna Keep 'Em Down On The Farm (Judy Garland, Me & My Girl)

Farmer Tan (Mark Hardwick, Ensemble, Pump Boys And Dinettes)

I Ain't Down Yet (Tammy Grimes, The Unsinkable Molly Brown)

Belly Up To The Bar, Boys (Tammy Grimes, The Unsinkable Molly Brown)

Keep-A-Hoppin' (Harve Presnell, The Unsinkable Molly Brown)

Finale (Company, The Unsinkable Molly Brown)

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment