Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Playlist for Sunday, July 7, 2013: Opa!

Anthony Quinn?  Well, even though I lived in NYC at the time of the 1983 revival of Zorba, I succeeded in missing his Broadway musical debut... I'm just now "discovering" this Kander and Ebb musical. Still not convinced of Tony's vocal expertise, I'll use the opening number, "Life Is," which doesn't feature him.  Opa!

Another newbie to 2 on the Aisle is "Bounce," a Stephen Sondheim musical that's never made it to Broadway, about two REAL ne're do well brothers (with lots of get rich schemes) who died on the same day.  Perfect fodder for a musical, right?  Well...again, a great opening number, but I remain unconvinced about the rest of the show.

Add a smattering of Spamalot, some epic South Pacific and Sweeney, and shake well!  Til' Sunday then...

Life Is (Cast, Zorba)
Bounce (Richard Kind and Howard McGillan, Bounce)
The Worst Pies in London (Angela Lansbury, Sweeney Todd)
A Puzzlement (Yul Brynner, The King and I)
Bali Ha'i (Juanita Hall, South Pacific)
People (Barbra Streisand, Funny Girl)
Summertime (Lena Horne, Porgy & Bess)
I'm All Alone (Tim Curry and Cast, Spamalot)
Mama, I'm A Big Girl Now (Marissa Jaret Winokur and Cast, Hairspray)
Go Back Home (Audra McDonald, The Scottsboro Boys)
Poems (Isao Sato, Sab Shimono, Pacific Overtures)
Let Me Entertain You (Sandra Church, Gypsy)
Moving Uptown (Eartha Kitt, The Wild Party)
So Long, Farewell (Children's ensemble, The Sound of Music)


No comments:

Post a Comment