Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Playlist for Sunday, July 21, 2013: From La Cage to Country

I'd forgotten all about Li'l Abner, the Musical!  Yes, I remember Stubby Kaye singin' up a storm about Corn Pone back in my youth, but I'm just now re-discovering it.  So after a La Cage Aux Folles opening, we'll traipse over to Dog Patch.  We'll have more "country" with Big River, written by none other than Roger Miller!?

Another mined goodie is "Find Yourself a Man," from Funny Girl, which features Kay Medford, a comedienne from the 50s...who sorta specialized in playing mothers...(here she is Fanny Brice's mom, but she also played Dick Van Dyke's mom in the original production of Bye Bye Birdie). She's joined by Jean Stapleton on that one!

Two from Runaways, a 1978 musical that was enjoying some success when I moved to NYC. A real concept musical, with songs strung together with poems and soliloquies written by the "runaway" cast...okay, so it's got that somewhat dated 70's feel, but isn't that part of the Broadway cannon, too?

Well, I'm waxing on..."See" you on Sunday!

La Cage Aux Folles (George Hearn and Cast, La Cage Aux Folles)
The Country's in the Very Best of Hands (Stubby Kaye, Peter Palmer, Li'l Abner)
When the Sun Goes Down (Rene Auberjonois and Ensemble, Big River)
Lida Rose (Barbara Cook and The Buffalo Bills, The Music Man)
Bad Companions (Nathaniel Frey, Margaret Hamilton, and Ensemble,
                                       Goldilocks)
Do We? (Gil Lamb and Lucie Lancaster, 70, Girls, 70)
Find Yourself a Man (Kay Medford, Jean Stapleton, Danny Meehan, Funny Girl)
Someone to Watch Over Me (Jodi Benson, Crazy for You)
My Big Mistake (Dee Hoty, The Will Rogers' Follies)
When Love Arrives (John Scherer, Becky Watson, By Jeeves)
The Undiscovered Son AND No Lullabies for Luis (Cast, Runaways)
I'm Past My Prime (Edie Adams, Stubby Kaye, Li'l Abner)
I Like Ev'rybody (Susan Johnson, Shorty Long, The Most Happy Fella)


No comments:

Post a Comment