Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Playlist for Sunday, March 3, 2013

Ever hear of Goldilocks?  Not the one with the bears and the porridge.  The 1958 musical...Music by Leroy Anderson (of "Sleigh Ride" and "Bugler's Holiday" fame) and lyrics by Walter Kerr (the theatre critic from the New York Herald) and his wife, Jean. It starred Elaine Stritch and Don (Graham Bell!) Ameche. The music ain't memorable for the most part, but the lyrics are witty, a bit Coward-esque. One incredible torch song that should have become a standard..."I Never Know When," sung by Ms. Stritch.  Fantastic.
The production sunk within 4 months on Broadway, possibly due its competition (West Side Story and My Fair Lady were at work down the street), or possibly its title (I mean, REALLY nothing to do with bears and porridge).  Anyway, it's a new (to me) find and I'm celebrating it with two selections this week:

Oh, What a Beautiful Mornin' (Gordon McCrea, Oklahoma!)
Look What Happened to Mabel (Bernadette Peters, Mack & Mabel)
The Company Way (Robert Morse and Sammy Smith, How to Succeed)
You'll Never Get Away from Me (Ethel Merman, Gypsy)
Come Up To My Place (Nancy Walker, On the Town)
It Might as Well Be Spring (Andrea McCardle, State Fair)
(Walking) Among My Yesterdays (Robert Goulet, The Happy Time)
Mu-Cha-Cha (Judy Holliday and Peter Gennaro, Bells are Ringing)
Conga! (Rosalind Russell and Cast, Wonderful Town)
I Never Know When (Elaine Stritch, Goldilocks)
I'm a Stranger Here Myself (Mary Martin, One Touch of Venus)
I Can't Be in Love (Don Ameche, Goldilocks)
Just You Wait (Julie Andrews, My Fair Lady)
If You Were Gay (John Tartaglia, Rick Lyon, Avenue Q)
Useless Useful Phrases (Elaine Stritch, Sail Away)

No comments:

Post a Comment