Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Playlist for Sunday, May 8, 2016: Be Good To Mama

It's Mother's Day, folks. Yup, coming up this Sunday...perfect timing for a 2 on the Aisle Salute to all those Broadway Moms out there. Broadway does a range of Moms: Staunch, Cloying, Jewish, Irish, Cross-Dressing, Over Bearing, and sometimes even Wonderful. We won't spend the entire show on Mom, and I'll feel appropriately guilty not doing that, but anymore and it would become TOO Mom. But if you are a Mom, or you have/had a Mom, or if you know a Mom, first CALL her, and then listen to the show. :)

We have also have a request for Lil Abner. Left to my own devices, I would probably never play or listen to Lil Abner ever again. I would try to burn it. But I TAKE REQUESTS, see? I listen when you talk, see? And I will play 3 numbers from that Gene DePaul/Johnny Mercer bagel...I mean, show, on Sunday, see? I can put on my big girl Broadway pants anytime I want!

Also littering this show is a fun little flop (Dirty Rotten), a few esoteric Sondheims (or it wouldn't be MY SHOW!)(Evening Primrose, Anyone Can Whistle), drinks on the house and the morning after those drinks on the house (The Wild Party, Take Me Along, Pump Boys), and my super favorite (Grey Gardens, just one more messed up mom/daughter relationship in case you needed something to talk to your shrink about).

So in the words of Baby June, "Send a dozen gardenias to your mother." Even if it's complicated.


When You're Good To Mama (Queen Latifah, Chicago)
Jubilation T. Cornpone (Stubby Kaye, Ensemble, Lil Abner)
Namely You (Edith Adams, Peter Palmer, Lil Abner)
The Country's In The Very Best Of Hands (Stubby Kaye, Peter Palmer, Lil
        Abner)
Motherhood (Carol Channing, Eileen Brennan, Hello Dolly)
Mama, A Rainbow (Daniel Fortus, Minnie's Boys)
My Mother Would Love You (Ethel Merman, Panama Hattie)
Rose's Turn (Ethel Merman, Gypsy)
Do I Hear A Waltz? (Elizabeth Allen, Do I Hear A Waltz?)
Everybody Says Don't (Harry Guardino, Anyone Can Whistle)
We're Gonna Be Alright (Stuart Damon, Do I Hear A Waltz?)
If You Can Find Me, I'm Here (Tony Perkins, Evening Primrose)
Tomorrow's Mother's Day (Sami Gayle, Emma Rowley, Gypsy)
Confession To A Park Avenue Mother (Charles Nelson Reilly, Parade)
Mama, I'm A Big Girl Now (Marissa Jaret Winokur, Harvey Fierstein,
        Hairspray)
Look Over There (Gene Barry, La Cage Aux Folles)
Momma, Momma, Momma (Elliot Gould, Lillian Roth, I Can Get It For You
        Wholesale)
You Remind Me Of My Mother (Jimmy Cagney, Yankee Doodle Dandy)
Will You? (Christine Ebersole, Grey Gardens)
Peas In A Pod (Christine Ebersole, Erin Davie, Grey Gardens)
Around The World (Christine Ebersole, Grey Gardens)
He's Not a Well Man (Barbra Streisand, Jack Kruschen, I Can Get It For You
        Wholesale)
The Way Things Are (Elliot Gould, I Can Get It For You Wholesale)
Eat A Little Something (Lillian Roth, I Can Get It For You Wholesale)
Miss Marmelstein (Barbra Streisand, I Can Get It For You Wholesale)
Drinkin' Shoes (Ensemble, Pump Boys And Dinettes)
Dry (Ensemble, The Wild Party)
Well, Did You Evah? (Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, High Society)
Little Green Snake (Jackie Gleason, Take Me Along)
The Movin' Uptown Blues (Adam Grupper, Stuart Zagnit, The Wild Party)
All About Ruprecht (John Lithgow, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels)
Oklahoma? (Sara Gettlefinger, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels)
Chimp In A Suit (Gregory Jbara, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels)
The More We Dance (John Lithgow, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels)

No comments:

Post a Comment