Monday, May 27, 2024

Playlist For Sunday, June 2, 2024: To bust or not to bust, that's the question!

A rainy Memorial Day, so here I sit inside...kind of content, truth to tell. I snuck (sneaked? sneakered? snacked?) in a quick bike ride early, to avoid the forecasted forecast, but now it's like a free inside day. Am I turning into a rain-loving Otto Bruno? Maybe I'll paint a cabinet, maybe I'll re-binge Ripley...or nap, like a 68,000 year old lady is expected to. Or maybe I'll concoct another 2 On The Aisle playlist.

 

 

But I can't do JUNE. As in Carousel's JUNE. 

Because I never liked Carousel.

Too sappy. If I hear that soliloquy one more time. Clam Bakes. June busting out all over. Mr. Snow. Not for me. Same with most Rodgers and Hammerstein musicals. I sorta put up with 'em. Maybe Bloody Mary. Maybe that Goatherd song (once a year). Maybe Something Good (Elaine Stritch's version, less sap). That's about it. Otherwise, all those cowboys and farmers and nuns and Mitzi washing her hair give me headaches. 


 Tra La. It's June. Let's bust out!


ALTHOUGH June IS busting out, at last. And I guess I should play it? ....Nah.

But there is a birthday that we've gotta celebrate: Marvin Hamlisch's natal day is this week. We can't walk by that one (Gosh, "I hope I get it " THIS TIME!) or dance by it, either. Also Marilyn Monroe's BD is June 3. No, she did not do anything on Broadway, but she did "do" Hollywood, and I think she's underrated as a singer. That's my excuse anyway, and I'm sticking with it! 

 

Marvin and Marilyn...just a pair of Geminis.


 

Plus Chicago. It opened 49 years ago (June 3 is its anniversary) and it's still running (and running and running). I guess he really had it coming. The Razzle and the Dazzle are on loop.

 


So give a listen, if you can, come Sunday...enjoy your free inside (or outside) days as we bust out (or not) into June. (Okay, maybe I'll play it NEXT Sunday. But no promises.) Huzzah!


Lazy (Marilyn Monroe, Donald O'Connor, Mitzi Gaynor, There's No Business Like Show Business)

Razzle Dazzle (Jerry Orbach, Chicago)

Roxie (Gwen Verdon, Chicago)

He Had It Coming/Cell Block Tango (Catherine Zeta-Jones, Ensemble, Chicago)

The Column (John Lithgow, Sweet Smell Of Success)

One Track Mind (John Noseworthy, Sweet Smell Of Success)

Welcome To The Night (John Lithgow, Ensemble, Sweet Smell Of Success)

Sunshine, Lollipops, and Roses (Lesley Gore)

The Travelin' Life (Liza Minnelli, Liza! Liza!)

Life Is What You Make It (Johnny Mathis)

A Private Man (Marvin Hamlisch)

Workin' It Out (Robert Klein, Lucie Arnaz, They're Playing Our Song)

Fallin' (Robert Klein, They're Playing Our Song)

They're Playing My Song (Company, They're Playing Our Song)

Hello Twelve, Hello Thirteen (Company, A Chorus Line)

I Can Do That (Wayne Cilento, A Chorus Line)

I Hope I Get It (Company, A Chorus Line)

After You Get What You Want (Marilyn Monroe, There's No Business Like Show Business)

River Of No Return (Marilyn Monroe, River Of No Return)

Old Black Magic (Marilyn Monroe, Don Murray, Bus Stop)

Good News, Bad News (Martin Short, Bernadette Peters, Tammy Minoff, The Goodbye Girl)

What A Guy (Bernadette Peters, The Goodbye Girl)

Too Good To Be Bad (Bernadette Peters, Carol Woods, Susann Fletcher, The Goodbye Girl)

Dreamers (Sarah Brightman, Jean Seberg)

Nobody Does It Better (Carly Simon, The Spy Who Loved Me)

The Way We Were (Barbra Streisand, The Way We Were)

You'd Be Surprised (Marilyn Monroe)

Heat Wave (Marilyn Monroe, There's No Business Like Show Business)

Bye Bye Baby (Marilyn Monroe, Jane Russell, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes)

No comments:

Post a Comment