Monday, April 1, 2024

Playlist For Sunday, April 7th, 2024: I think I hear a turtle?

What's that turtle quote? I typed that exact question into a Google Search box and I got Solomon talking about "the voice of the turtle is heard in our land." My daughter makes fun of me when I do that, phrase a search in terms of a question. (Back in the day, I "Asked Jeeves". I'm still asking!) Like when is the #42 bus coming to a stop near me? Why isn't my nail polish dry yet? How do you sync your Libby with your phone with your car with...the #42 bus? Stuff like that. But you know, it often works. :)

 



Anyway, the VOICE of the TURTLE is HEARD, says Solomon! Or maybe that's the sound of my irksome generator as it goes thru its weekly (weakly?) test. Whatever. But it IS here. I have seen 5 robins so far (or it's the same robin 5 times) and that proves it. Tis Spring. Well... at least once we get past this last predicted snowstorm/rain event/eclipse fever?

Maybe The Turtle is like The Groundhog. Both of 'em Oracles of Climate. Weather Harbingers. Yet why do we ask seasonal reports of these bossy, unscientific creatures? Isn't Science enough (I ask of Google/Jeeves/The Cosmos)? 

 

Must be Science (cuz jelly don't shake like that).

But along with amphibians and Spring comes our Jazz 90.1 pledge drive. That, at least, is a certainty. And this coming Sunday (April 7th) starts my part of it, driving that pledge car first with Otto (from noon to 2pm that day), and second with Mary Ziarniak, avid Jazz 90.1 listener and a pal o' mine. (Not a palomino, which is very close, but no cigar.) She'll be bringing in a bevy of Broadway favorites, and will basically take over the show with all of her "requests". That's OK. It's the least I can do for her, as she'll be taking over the phone answering and donation duties of the day. She's only a bit bossy. :)

 

Mary, just before she pushed her plethora of requests upon me.

 

So as you can see by the playlist, The Music Man, Bye Bye Birdie (her hubby's name is Conrad), West Side Story, and Kinky Boots will dot our landscape. 

 

I actually took this photo of Billy Porter's Kinky pair,
at the Museum of Broadway. Impressive! 

But please give us a call during the show! We'd love to chat with you, as opposed to you donating online. And worry not re the size of your contribution...$5, $50, $500...we judge not the size! It all adds up to another season of Jazz, Blues, Fusion, Big Band, Computer help, annnnnd Broadway, for you and yours. Because without that support, there will be no Another Op'nin'. No Another Show. Just country music and talk radio. Ughsters on that.



 So keep me spinning the MUSICALS! Like I wanna be. Drown out that damn turtle. He has no Broadway belt at all.

 

 

Another Opnin', Another Show (Ensemble, Kiss Me Kate)

A Healthy, Normal American Boy (Dick Van Dyke, Chita Rivera, Bye Bye Birdie)

Kids (Paul Lynde, Bye Bye Birdie)

Wells Fargo Wagon (Ensemble, The Music Man)

Ya Got Trouble (Robert Preston, The Music Man)

Pick-A-Little, Talk-A-Little (Ensemble, The Music Man)

All The Things You Are (Ella Fitzgerald)

The I'm Too White To Sing The Blues Blues (Ann Hampton Callaway, Jazz Goes To The Movies)

Cool (Tucker Smith, Ensemble, West Side Story)

Dance At The Gym (Instrumental, West Side Story)

Eskimo Dog (The Smothers Brothers)

Sarah Jackman (Allan Sherman, Christine Nelson, My Son The Folk Singer)

I'm Gonna Wash That Man Right Outta My Hair (Kelli O'Hara, South Pacific)

A Musical (Brian d'Arcy James, Brad Oscar, Something Rotten!)

You'll Be Back (Jonathan Groff, Hamilton)

Dear Theodosia (Leslie Odom, Jr., Lin-Manuel Miranda, Hamilton)

Wait Till We're 65 (William Daniels, On A Clear Day You Can See Forever)

70, Girls, 70 (Company, 70, Girls, 70)

When I'm Sixty Four (The Beatles)

A Beat Behind (Bernadette Peters, The Goodbye Girl)

Dance: Ten; Looks: Three (Pamela Blair, A Chorus Line)

Sex Is In The Heel (Billy Porter, Stark Sands, Kinky Boots)

Puttin' On The Ritz (Clark Gable, Idiot's Delight)

Puttin' On The Ritz (Fred Astaire, Blue Skies)

Puttin' On The Ritz (Roger Bart, Shuler Hensley, Young Frankenstein)


No comments:

Post a Comment