Sunday, April 17, 2022

Playlist for Sunday, April 24, 2022: Drop That Name (and turn off that burner!)

 You know, I burned 2 pots this past week. If you ever hear about a 3 alarm fire out west of Hilton, you'll know who set it. My problem is I start heating something up on the stove, and walk out of the room. I get embroiled in a playlist or play dress up or start visiting my facebook/youtube "friends", and suddenly I smell something embroiling itself in my kitchen. "Doesn't your smoke alarm alert you?" you ask. Well, it would if I took it out of its drawer and put batteries in it and hung it on the wall, but 1.) it's ugly, c.) it would always be going off, the way I COOK, and 9.) it's still ugly. 

 

Not mine.

 So it was smokey. 

Meanwhile, it was also Easter and Passover, and I had an oil change, a haircut, it effing SNOWED, I did not get to bike, and my therapist left for spring break. Fun week. 

How are YOU?

But this'll be a good show: It's all based on Harry, if you want to know. Which is weird because the only Harry I know is the Connick Jr. kind. I know NO Harry's personally. But on Broadway? There's the Tom, Dick and _____ variety and from The Full Monty there's Life with _____well, not Harry but Harold. And then Listener John from Pittsford sent me Allan Sherman's Ballad of Harry Lewis. There you go! The first set of the "Drop That Name" Edition. 

 


We'll have Mary and Maria, James and Jimmy, Rose (of course) and Joe. And then the eccentric tribe will show up, with Dulcinea and Cassandra and Ariadne. This playlist could have gone on for about 87 more songs, because Broadway (and Hollywood) loves name songs, but "brevity is the soul of wit" and "always leave 'em wanting more" are my mantras. Sure. 

But have a wonderful week, which reminds me: THIS WEEK is the last week of Jazz90.1's Spring Pledge Drive. I know, I keep nagging you about this. If you've already donated a buncha dough, thank you on bended knee. You're the Man! BUT if you have yet to toss a few nickels in the Jazz "piggy bank", you are NOT the Man. I'm sure you're a "wonderful guy" as Mary Martin washed/rinsed/and repeated in South Pacific, but come on! Like Brigadoon, Jazz 90.1 (and all of its cool programming) could go POOF, evaporate, and become a mere pleasant memory, lost to the Radio Ether. Manned by 30 or so volunteers, supported by myriad listeners for 48 years...this station deserves to go on and on and on, thumbing its nose at the other side of the dial. Your donation assures that it does.

So this week, I'll try not to burn stuff. And I'll look for a real live Harry. See ya Sunday!

Great donation, Ginger!


Drop That Name (Judy Holliday, Bells Are Ringing)

Mary's A Grand Old Name (Jimmy Cagney, Sally Sweetland, Yankee Doodle Dandy)

Little Mary Sunshine (Eileen Brennan, Little Mary Sunshine)

Building A Nest For Mary (The Captivators, Red Nichols on vocal)

Bloody Mary (Ensemble, South Pacific)

Sit Down, John (William Daniels, Ensemble, 1776)

Johnny One Note (Judy Garland, Words And Music)

Johnny Guitar (Peggy Lee)

Dulcinea (Brian Stokes Mitchell, Man Of La Mancha)

Rosemary (Robert Morse, Bonnie Scott, How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying)

Melinda (John Cullum, On A Clear Day You Can See Forever)

Tom, Dick, Or Harry (Ann Miller, Tommy Rall, Bob Fosse, Bobby Van, Kiss Me Kate)

The Ballad Of Harry Lewis (Allan Sherman, My Son, The Folk Singer)

Life With Harold (Emily Skinner, The Full Monty)

They Call The Wind Mariah (Ensemble, Paint Your Wagon)

Cassandra (Betty Buckley, Story Songs)

Dawn (Go Away)(John Lloyd Young, Ensemble, Jersey Boys)

Maria (Larry Kert, West Side Story)

Ariadne (Nathan Lane, Roger Bart, The Frogs)

Roxie (Renee Zellwegger, Chicago)

Bill (Annette Warren, Show Boat)

Jimmy (Julie Andrews, Thoroughly Modern Millie)

Joey, Joey, Joey (Leslie Odom, Jr.)

My Name Is James (Paul Terry, James And The Giant Peach)

Lida Rose/Will I Ever Tell Him (The Buffalo Bills Quartet, Barbara Cook, The Music Man)

Second Hand Rose (Fanny Brice)

I Won't Send Roses (Robert Preston, Mack And Mabel)

Spanish Rose (Chita Rivera, Bye Bye Birdie)

Legalize My Name (Pearl Bailey, St. Louis Woman)

My Name (Danny Sewell, Oliver!)

Miss What's Her Name (Debbie Gravitte, Miss Spectacular)

His Name Is Lancelot (Christian Borle, Hank Azaria, Spamalot)

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment