Tuesday, September 21, 2021

Playlist For Sunday, September 26, 2021: You can schmear HERE!

 

Well, if I want to see Hugh and Sutton in The Music Man, I think I've jumped on that Wells Fargo Wagon too late! Earliest ticket I can grab now is well past Groundhog Day. (The actual day, not the show.) And Six? Or Doubtfire? I doubt it. However, I realize I'm not in that much of a rush to "do" NYC just yet. Part of me is terrified that some of the places I loved and frequented every visit may well be gone. And that's just depressing. Little Poland? John's Italian Restaurant? Little mom and pops that had trouble thriving even during the best of times? Plus having to jump on a packed plane makes me sort of ...shudder. Hmmmm...

 

Visions of Steve Martin and John Candy, cozy on a plane/train/automobile.


Which is a real pain, because who wouldn't want to spend a birthday or 7 back on Broadway? 

 

Little Poland (across from my old apartment on 2nd Ave.)

and an interior shot of John's Restaurant, around the corner

(SOMEBODY had to have been shot here).


 Instead I've planned a Skaneateles road trip come mid-October, for antiquing and round-the-lake bike riding. Only thing to decide is do I bike clockwise OR counter-clockwise aroung that B Team Finger Lake ? Since it's in THIS hemisphere, I guess I should go with counter, but then I've always been a bit of counter-tarian. :)

One thing hasn't changed: Classic Broadway. And I thought it might be nifty to do a "series!" (Hey if Jeff Harris can do it, "Let's Do It!") A composer/lyricist series of the Greats (later we'll do the Not-So-Greats, I promise). Three at a time, so no one gets to hog the spotlight for long, and this week it's Cole, Richard and Larry, and George and Ira. If you need last names, it's evident that you really aren't listening to me. Harrumph. Well, a silent harrumph. I still like you.

 
 
 
Even tho I do play these ICONS on almost every 2OTA, I'll gang 'em up and chat a bit about their beginnings or their eccentricities (which is always more fun), and next week I'll pick ANOTHER 3, but I'm not telling who YET. So hope you enjoy. No need to bus, train, or plane to those big expensive Bway theatres right now; just pull out your radio (or ask Alexa to), whirl up an egg cream (or schmear up a bagel), pull the lever on that Lazy Boy, and let 2OTA rip. We can definitely "Take Manhattan" soon enough!


Anything Goes (Sutton Foster, Anything Goes)

It's De-Lovely (Hal Linden, Barbara Lang, Anything Goes)

Make It Another Old Fashioned (Ethel Merman, Panama Hattie)

Take Me Back to Manhattan (Eileen Rodgers, Anything Goes)

I Love Paris (Frank Sinatra, Maurice Chevalier, Can-Can)

After You, Who? (Fred Astaire, Gay Divorce)

Let's Misbehave (Helene York, Brooks Ashmanskas, Bullets Over Broadway)

Tom, Dick or Harry (Lisa Kirk, Harold Lang, Ensemble, Kiss Me, Kate)

Too Darn Hot (Stanley Wayne Mathis, Ensemble, Kiss Me, Kate)

Johnny One Note (Judy Garland, Babes In Arms)

My Funny Valentine (Trudy Stevens, Pal Joey)

You Took Advantage Of Me (Elaine Stritch, On Your Toes)

Ev'rything I've Got Belongs To You (Bob Dishy, Jacqueline Alloway, By Jupiter)

There's A Small Hotel (Bobby Van, Kay Coulter, On Your Toes)

This Can't Be Love (Jack Cassidy, Portia Nelson, The Boys From Syracuse)

Ten Cents A Dance (Doris Day, Love Me Or Leave Me)

Zip (Vivienne Segal, Pal Joey)

That Terrific Rainbow (Chorus Girls, Pal Joey)

Manhattan (Lee Wiley)

Bewitched, Bothered, And Bewildered (Marin Mazzie)

Isn't It Romantic (Michael Feinstein, Romance On Film, Romance On Broadway)

S'Wonderful (Gene Kelly, Georges Guittary, Oscar Levant, An American In Paris)

Funny Face (Fred Astaire, Funny Face)

They Can't Take That Away From Me (Robert Fairchild, Max Von Essen, Brandon Uranowitz, An American In Paris)

Embraceable You (Harry Groener, Jodi Benson, Crazy For You)

Do It Again (Marilyn Monroe)

Sam And Delilah (Louise Carlyle, Girl Crazy)

K-RA-ZY For You (Bobby Short, I'm K-RA-ZY For Gershwin)

Dear Mr. Gershwin (Klea Blackhurst, Radio Gals)

I Got Rhythm (Robert Fairchild, Brandon Uranowitz, Max Von Essen, An American In Paris)

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment