Monday, September 7, 2020

Playlist For Sunday, Sept. 13, 2020: Puttin' On The Argyles. Sorta.

Fall has entered my zip code.

I'm sitting here (it is Monday, the 7th of September), listening to wind. And pelting rain. We are smack (down!) dab in the middle of Labor Day weekend, and yet the weather would like us to know that Summer is leaving the building. Not a good thing. I mean, autumn is usually a pretty exciting concept, with all of the New Year/Fresh Start-ness of January 1...in fact it's always seemed like the real start of the year to me. A new lunch box (with Barbie on it???). A new binder (Star Trek themed???). New knee socks. New crush? But not this year. It all seems sort of blah, if not ominous, to hear that wind and feel that seasonal turn.


 I actually own this one.
Slick.

 But THIS I NEED!


 Cuz no new Broadway either.

I'm missing the new musicals that were TO BE on Broadway by now. Even though most of you would yell at me for dabbling tooooo much in old timey musicals (saluting the Stynes, Sondheims, and Gersh-whines ad infinitum), I'm pining for the premiers, for scanning the Times for reviews/debuts, for cracking the CD case on a just-opened Broadway Baby. You're right, I do enjoy and play CLASSIC (read: often prehistoric) Broadway, BUT whenever possible, I like to sample the new stuff and "show" listeners the Just-In and Possibly-Exciting and Maybe-Someday-This-Will-Be-A-Classic-Too stuff. And I haven't been able to do that since, oh I don't know...maybe since Sponge Bob. Ugh.


 Dear lord, no.

So I've had to recycle and rerun and cross fingers that you're hangin' in with me.

And to that end, we will Go Chock-A-Block (simply called "chocked" by the Aussies) with themes this Sunday! (Note exciting exclamation point usage!) Travel! Autumn! Stars (both kinds: Movie and Ethereal)! Travel, cuz we HAVE and wish to do so again soon; Autumn, cuz it will be, in about 1/2 an hour; and Stars (cuz Oh, To Be One, and I was Born Under A Wandrin' One)! So if you're seeking solace in Classic Broadway, know that I'm here, saving you a virtual seat. Still, again, and always. :)


 Alan Alda, Barbara Harris, Larry Blyden...
in The Apple Tree.
My style "Star"!


I Love To Travel (Nathan Lane, Roger Bart, The Frogs)
I'm On My Way (Rufus Smith, Ensemble, Paint Your Wagon)
Travelin' In Louisiana (Ensemble, Sugar Babies)
Travel Hopefully (David Hemmings, Michael Aldridge, By Jeeves)
Travel Song (Brian d'Arcy James, Shrek The Musical)
Why Do The Wrong People Travel? (Elaine Stritch, Sail Away)
Traveling Light (Frank Loesser, An Evening With Frank Loesser)
A Trip To The Library (Barbara Baxley, She Loves Me)
The Bicycle Song (Beatrice Lillie, High Spirits)
I Love To Travel (Reprise)(Nathan Lane, Roger Bart, The Frogs)
Les Feuilles Mortes (Yves Montand)
Another Autumn (Tony Bavaar, James Mitchell, Paint Your Wagon)
Autumn (Margery Cohen, Starting Here, Starting Now)
September Song (Lotte Lenya, Knickerbocker Holiday)
Too Close For Comfort (Sammy Davis Jr., Mr. Wonderful)
Take Me To The World/Starting Here Starting Now (Sutton Foster, Take Me
       To The World)
They Say It's Wonderful (Max Von Essen, I'm Old Fashioned)
Make Someone Happy (Audra McDonald, Sing Happy)
I'm The Greatest Star (Barbra Streisand, Funny Girl)
Oh, To Be A Movie Star (Barbara Harris, The Apple Tree)
Poor Little Hollywood Star (Nancy Andrews, Little Me)
Look What Happened to Mabel (Bernadette Peters, Mack & Mabel)
Alive! (Max Von Essen, Death Takes A Holiday)
Shimmy Like They Do In Paree (Mara Davi, Max Von Essen, Death Takes
       A Holiday)
Life's A Joy (Simone Jones, Jill Paice, Death Takes A Holiday)
You Are My Lucky Star (Debbie Reynolds, Singin' In The Rain)
Stars And The Moon (Jessica Molaskey, Songs For A New World)
Wand'rin' Star (Rufus Smith, Ted Thurston, Newton Sullivan, Paint
       Your Wagon)
Star Tar (Bernadette Peters, Dames At Sea)
Friendly Star (Judy Garland, Summer Stock)
When You Wish Upon A Star (Cliff Edwards, Pinocchio)

No comments:

Post a Comment