Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Playlist For Sunday, Sept. 30, 2018: George and Marin and Cole and Betty

 Swedda Wedda! Aka Fall/Autumn/PSL time...call it what you will, we are IN IT! I get to use the words "flannel", "crisp", and "apple betty!" I get to warm stuff up! And add maple syrup! And carve! Coolio.

Since I've been working on a school schedule for all but 3 or 4 years of my life, September always feels like the beginning of a new year, more so than January 1 ever did. Not like I need a new plaid dress and Mary Janes to wear that "first day" (tho I wouldn't mind!), or a fresh notebook to crack, but the timing and the weather give me a 7 espresso jolt.

Hence our "Another Op'nin" opening to this week's 2 On The Aisle. It may be a little weird to open the program with a Cole Porter show, because in fact we'll be saluting George Gershwin for the balance of it, but there is a method to this Madness: Also on the agenda is a salute to Marin Mazzie, who passed away on September 13th, and one of her star turns occurred in Kiss Me Kate, the 1999 revival. So in playing that show, we get to hear Marin...so George will just have to step aside a few times for her and Cole. I don't think he'll mind.

But as CP said, "make your future forget your past..." That sounds like a fresh start to me. Or as GG (helped by Ira!) added, "Who Cares?" If you've "got rhythm", that apple betty is sure to turn out. :)


Another Op'nin', Another Show (Adriane Lenox, Company, Kiss Me, Kate)
I'll Build A Stairway To Paradise (Max Von Essen, Crazy For You)
Shall We Dance (Michelle Pawk, Crazy For You)
Shall We Dance (Fred Astaire, Shall We Dance?)
Slap That Bass (Harry Groener, Stacey Logan, Fred Anderson, Beth
      Leavel, Crazy For You)
Bidin' My Time (Mary Martin, Girl Crazy)
Someone To Watch Over Me (Jodi Benson, Crazy For You)
Sam And Delilah (Klea Blackhurst, Everything The Traffic Will Allow)
They Go Wild (Marin Mazzie, Bullets Over Broadway)
I Hate Men (Marin Mazzie, Kiss Me, Kate)
I Ain't Gonna Play No Second Fiddle (Marin Mazzie, Bullets Over Broadway)
Do What You Do (Bobby Short, K-RA-ZY for Gershwin)
Who Cares? (Bea Arthur, Just Between Friends)
They Can't Take That  Away From Me (Peggy Lee, Black Coffee)
Stiff Upper Lip (Amelia White, Stephen Temperley, Crazy For You)
A Foggy Day (Fred Astaire, A Damsel In Distress)
S'Wonderful (Gene Kelly, George Guetary, An American In Paris)
I'll Build A Stairway To Paradise (George Guetary, An American In Paris)
By Strauss (Tra La La) (Oscar Levant, Gene Kelly, An American In Paris)
I Got Rhythm (Ethel Merman)
I Got Rhythm (Gene Kelly, An American In Paris)
I Got Rhythm (Judy Garland)
I Got Rhythm (Max Von Essen, Brandon Urbanowitz, Robert Fairchild,
      Ensemble, An American In Paris)
My Heart And I (Marin Mazzie, Misia)
Not A Day Goes By (Marin Mazzie)
So In Love (Marin Mazzie, Kiss Me Kate)
Too Darn Hot (Stanley Wayne Mathis, Ensemble, Kiss Me, Kate)
Wunderbar (Brian Stokes Mitchell, Marin Mazzie, Kiss Me, Kate)
Tom, Dick or Harry (Amy Spanger, Kevin Neil McCready, Darren Lee,
      Michael Berresse, Kiss Me, Kate)
Kiss Me, Kate (Company, Kiss Me, Kate)

No comments:

Post a Comment