Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Playlist For Sunday, Feb. 25, 2018: Flour and Flowers, from the Flour/Flower City!

The city of Rochester was once called the Flour City, right? With the opening of the Erie Canal (1825-ish), flour mills spring/sprang/sprung up along the Genesee River and thousands of barrels of the fluffy stuff were shipped out of our port on to Albany, NYC and all points east. (Too much expostion, too boring...get to the point!) But by 1850, our flour industry  declined, and the seed and nursery biz "flour-ished!" A simple respelling, and voila...the Roc was renamed. Flour. Flower. A rose by any other name would be just as chewy!

And of course I had ALL that in mind when I chose our themes for Sunday's 2 On The Aisle. Actually, of course not! The serendipity (Serengeti?) of my themes spring/sprang/sprung from my head, like Athena from the head of Zeus (which is why I have plenty of Exedrin at my bedside), when I realized that my new Betty Buckley CD had a song from the Baker's Wife on it, ANNNNND that another "new" (old/borrowed/blue) CD of Sitting Pretty had a wonderful Jerome Kern tune called "When It's Tulip Time In Sing Sing." Of course I couldn't just do Tulips. And I couldn't do just Bread! Ahhh, but lightly folded...the synergy of the 2 astounds even me. :)

So this is a light, airy, aromatic show, with plenty of gardens (Secret!), growing (I Won't!), roses (Second Hand! Spanish!), bakers (with wives! in diners! equipped with razors!), and an obligatory ballad or 7. It will all make you yearn for a brioche...and a bouquet.


Chanson (Jill Martin, The Baker's Wife)
Bread (Ensemble, The Baker's Wife)
Plain And Simple (Alun Armstrong, Sharon Lee-Hill, The Baker's Wife)
Buzz A-Buzz (Alun Armstrong, Company, The Baker's Wife)
Someone Is Sending Me Flowers (Dody Goodman, Shoe String Revue)
Tip Toe Through The Tulips (Nick Lucas And His Troubadours)
Tulip Time In Sing Sing (Merwin Goldsmith, Sitting Pretty)
When You Wore A Tulip (Judy Garland, Gene Kelly, For Me And My Gal)
You Were There (Christine Ebersole, Christine Ebersole Sings Noel
      Coward)
Who Are You Now? (Judy Kuhn, Just In Time: Judy Kuhn Sings Jule Styne)
Love Look Away (Leslie Odom, Jr., Leslie Odom, Jr.)
Both Sides Now (Betty Buckley, Story Songs)
Grow For Me (Lee Wilkof, Little Shop Of Horrors)
When I Grow Up (Adrianna Bertola, Lauren Ward, Matilda)
Come To My Garden/Lift Me Up (Rebecca Luker, The Secret Garden)
I Won't Grow Up (Mary Martin, Peter Pan)
Second Hand Rose (Fanny Brice, The Ziegfeld Follies Of 1921)
Honeysuckle Rose (Ken Page, Nell Carter, Ain't Misbehavin')
The Rose (Ensemble, Breakfast At Tiffany's)
Spanish Rose (Chita Rivera, Bye Bye Birdie)
The Bloom Is Off The Rose (Jules Munshin, The High Life)
I Won't Send Roses (Robert Preston, Mack & Mabel)
Immigration Rose (Mickey Rooney, Sugar Babies)
Lida Rose/Will I Ever Tell You? (The Buffalo Bills Barbershop Quartet,
      Barbara Cook, The Music Man)
What's Inside (Jessie Mueller, Waitress)
Menu Song (Debra Monk, Cass Morgan, Pump Boys And Dinettes)
Sara Lee (Jim Walton, And The World Goes Round)
What Baking Can Do (Jessie Mueller, Waitress)
A Little Priest (Angela Lansbury, Len Cariou, Sweeney Todd)
I Can Cook, Too (Nancy Walker, On The Town)

No comments:

Post a Comment