Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Playlist for Sunday, March 9, 2014: The Classics Just Keep On Comin'!

 Well, last week's show certainly had its share of eccentric songs and shows (read: weird!), so I thought I'd dial up the classic element this week, and play some real people pleasers.  Like "Hey Big Spender" from Sweet Charity, and "You Did It" from My Fair Lady....with Rex Harrison and Robert Coote expounding on Eliza's success at the ball.  And a request for Lauren Bacall's "Who's That Girl?" from Applause....and all I can think of is her at the age of 19 in all those film noirs of the 40s, with that hair, that stare...that everything.

And that also means including a mini-tribute to Shirley Temple, who although she didn't do Broadway, was an incredible movie musical STAR (in all caps, please!)...and where else than on 2 on the Aisle will you hear "On the Good Ship, Lollypop?"  I love it!


Hello! (Ensemble, The Book of Mormon)
Hey Big Spender (Ensemble, Sweet Charity)
Waiting, Waiting (Nancy Walker, Do Re Mi)
Old Devil Moon (Donald Richards, Ella Logan, Finian's Rainbow)
Those Were the Good Old Days (Ray Walston, Damn Yankees)
Fie on Goodness (Ensemble, Camelot)
My Own Morning (Leslie Uggams, Hallelujah, Baby!)
I Was Here (Marc Kudisch, The Glorious Ones)
Who Was that Girl? (Lauren Bacall, Applause)
One of a Kind (Len Cariou, Lauren Bacall, Applause)
You Did It (Rex Harrison, Robert Coote, My Fair Lady)
Show Me (Julie Andrews, John Michael King, My Fair Lady)
Is You Is or Is You Ain't My Baby? (Ensemble, Five Guys Named Moe)
Crazy 'Bout Ya' Baby (Ensemble, Forever Plaid)
On the Good Ship, Lollipop (Shirley Temple, Bright Eyes)
Goodnight, My Love (Shirley Temple, Stowaway)

No comments:

Post a Comment