Monday, September 12, 2022

Playlist For Sunday, September 18, 2022: Whirling, Waldorfs, and Siamese Twins

So it's been A Week. A social whirl. That means more than 3 1/2 social "dos" in one day. I'm really not used to this. I may need nap.

We're not talking BIG events. No galas or balls (Does anyone really go to balls? Even when the prince is throwing one?). We're talking whine/wine open houses with everything bagels (whine/wine buffering). We're talking lunches with bunches of relatives (Waldorf salad, anyone? A throwback maybe, but I'm old school). A weekend with hand-picked college alums that I still like and can spend said weekend hashing and re-hashing (and hash-browning, thank you Air Fryer!) old times/old school. I'm also counting an auto mechanic "date" for brakes (now my car actually stops!).

Supposedly the Waldorf (Astoria) still serves Waldorf!

 

And shopping. ALWAYS shopping. Weekend grand total:
3 new dresses, a footstool, 6 pairs of earrings (natch), 2 sweaters, a scarf, my 15th purse and 2 ceramic "objet" (see photo). Each "objet" would probably make a very King Of Siam 1940s lamp, but that's beyond my Ken (and Barbie).

 

 

I'm still in a fog after that all socializing, which was synchronizing quite well with the rainy weather, but now the sun is shining (wait 1/2 an hour, things could change) and guilt is now showering down, saying:...I should bike...I should mow the back 40...I should simply "Get Out There". But I'd rather enjoy a lingering "ahhhhh" and put my feet up. It IS September and the in-ground pool in my mind is closing up. Ambition/standards/activity levels are relaxing, like pool filters clogged with "Autumn Leaves". 

That said...Broadway. This coming Sunday, we have a Bacall Birthday to celebrate (September 16), a Flaherty Flahooley (which is kinda like a shindig, only with more Fla!) (September 18, btw), plus we simply MUST raise a glass to that La Mancha Man, because the anniversary of that Don Q musical happens on the 15th, its 2nd revival in 1977 starring AGAIN and almost ALWAYS, Richard Kiley. Yum! Wasn't he wonderful? You betcha. :) He made a career out of that character, much like Yul doing 100 years as a Siamese King.

  Richard in The Man Of La Mancha

and below with Diahann Carroll in No Strings. 


Not exactly sure where this photo comes from,

but Richard did do episodes of Gunsmoke and

How The West Was Won.

Below, Richard and Steven Warner in The Little Prince, 1974. 


From Garrison's Gorillas, a TV show I remember back in 1967.

It was based on The Dirty Dozen.

 
 And in Kismet, as the Caliph with Doretta Morrow? Hmmmm....

Richard was 34 years old when he captured this role.
(Way to rock the mascara, Rich!)

Okay, so I've now been sun-guilted enough and will attempt a lawn mow. See you on Sunday, tho, when I will rested from my whirl of a life. I'll wear a new dress (not like you can tell), a new set of earrings, a scarf or seven, and maybe I'll bring my new Siamese Twins to the station. They can conduct or simply glare. Upon Broadway. :))))

 

 

Twenty Million People (Evan Pappas, Company, My Favorite Year)

But Alive (Lauren Bacall, Applause)

Who's That Girl? (Lauren Bacall, Applause)

Applause (Bonnie Franklin, Applause)

Buffalo Nickel Photoplay Inc. (Peter Friedman, Ragtime)

Sarah Brown Eyes(Brian Stokes Mitchell, Audra McDonald, Ragtime)

Make Them Hear You (Brian Stokes Mitchell, Ragtime)

Man Of LaMancha (Richard Kiley, Irving Jacobson, Man Of La Mancha)

Little Bird, Little Bird(Ensemble, Man Of La Mancha)

Barber's Song/Golden Helmet (Gino Conforti, Richard Kiley, Irving Jacobson, Man Of La Mancha)

Dulcinea/The Impossible Dream (Joan Diener, Richard Kiley, Man Of La Mancha)

One Of The Boys (Lauren Bacall, Ensemble, Woman Of The Year)

The Grass Is Always Greener (Lauren Bacall, Marilyn Cooper, Woman Of The Year)

Art (Ensemble,  A Man Of No Importance)

The Burden Of Life (Faith Prince, Roger Rees, A Man Of No Importance) 

Love Who You Love (Sally Murphy, A Man Of No Importance)  

Rita's Confession (Mary Testa, Evan Pappas, Lucky Stiff)

Monte Carlo! (Patrick Quinn, Lucky Stiff)

Speaking French (Deborah Gravitte, Lucky Stiff) 

Journey To The Past (Christy Altomare, Anastasia)

Paris Holds The Key (To Your Heart) (John Bolton, Derek Klena, Christy Altomare, Anastasia)

Once Upon A December (Christy Altomare, Anastasia)

Night Of My Nights (Richard Kiley, Kismet)

The Sweetest Sounds (Richard Kiley, Diahann Carroll, No Strings)

My Girl Is Just Enough Woman For Me (Richard Kiley, Redhead)

Stranger In Paradise (Richard Kiley, Kismet)

Welcome To Brooklyn (Lainie Kazan, Evan Pappas, Tim Curry, Ensemble, My Favorite Year)

The King Kaiser Comedy Cavalcade (Ensemble, My Favorite Year)

The Gospel According To King (Tom Mardirosian, Ensemble, My Favorite Year)

Professional Show Business Comedy (Andrea Martin, My Favorite Year)

 


No comments:

Post a Comment