Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Playlist for Sunday, August 24, 2014: My Kinda Show

I'll be going on a little vacation after this week's show, and traditionally before that happens, I do a show chocked-full of my favorites.  Sorry, but I'm sending myself off with a memorable "Bon Voyage"...so we'll start with a rousing gotta-be-Broadway opener, from Sugar, and then launch into some "Cool" from Bernstein's West Side Story. That's probably the only blockbuster in the hour; as you well know, my tastes run toward the quirky. Curtains, Saturday Night, and other lesser knows (that means CULT!) dot the "landscape" this week.

I was never a fan of "Moon River," over-done as it was back in the 1960s, but Audra McDonald's take on this is superb. Ditto Charmian Carr (yup, Liesl in The Sound of Music) and her rendition of "I Remember," from Sondheim's Evening Primrose. And searching for an addition to our Movie Musical Corner, I came across "Drum Boogie," from Ball of Fire, a favorite from way back. I always thought it was Barbara Stanwyck herself, singing along to Gene Krupa's drum boogie-ing.  Nope, she was dubbed! Geez...same with Eleanor Powell in Born to Dance.  What a let down! Well, we can pretend.

Our finale includes "Baltimore," whose men I now MUST avoid, and "The Boy From..."  Never realized vermilion rhymed with Lillian!  


When You Meet a Man in Chicago (Sheila Smith, Ensemble, Sugar)
Something's Coming (Richard Beymer, West Side Story)
Cool (Michael Callan, Ensemble, West Side Story)
The Woman's Dead (Ensemble, Curtains)
Coffee Shop Nights (David Hyde Pierce, Karen Ziemba, Curtains)
That's the Beginning of the End (Elaine Stritch, Stritch)
I Remember (Charmian Carr, Evening Primrose)
Moon River (Audra McDonald, Breakfast at Tiffany's)
Mean to Me (Doris Day, Love Me or Leave Me)
Easy to Love (Jimmy Stewart, Marjorie Lane, Born to Dance)
Drum Boogie (Martha Tilton, Ball of Fire)
I Remember That (Mark Haddigan, Tracie Bennett, Saturday Night)
Baltimore (Audra McDonald, Go Back Home)
The Boy From... (Millicent Martin, Side by Side by Sondheim)




No comments:

Post a Comment