Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Playlist for Sunday, August 10, 2014: Small World, Ain't it?

As I began "inventing" this week's show, I realized how much I love Jule Styne's music. I'm adding things to this playlist...I look to note the composer...and 9 times out of 10, I see Jule's name. I've often thought of doing a Styne tribute show, but that would mean not playing him for a few weeks (perish the thought!), to make us all salivate...and then having to pick just a dozen or so songs from his cache of over a hundred. Not pleasant.  So don't wait for that show! 

Meanwhile...lots of connections within this playlist! The opening number of "Forum" which starts us off, had a great book by Larry Gelbart, famed MASH writer, and Gelbart also wrote the book for "City of Angels."  Sydney Chaplin (yup, Charlie's son) shares a duet with Babs, from "Funny Girl," and he's also the telephone caller in the "Bells are Ringing" selection with Judy Holliday.  Jack Gilford, who duo's with Lotte Lenya in "Married," also played Hysterium in both the stage and movie versions of "Forum."  And Judy follows Liza...from Cabaret to Meet Me in St. Louis. Whew, it's like a carnival ride!

One song that I've always wanted to fit in, and here it comes this week: All of My Life, with Phil Silvers...from Do Re Mi (and yes, Jules Styne did the music!)  It's a downer, I know...here's Phil as Hubie Cram, a loser, a con man, always betting on the "wrong horse," having a melt down in that 11th hour song of the show.  But he's wonderful, and haven't we all had those melt downs, and yet risen above them?  I say, let's have a cathartic breakdown with him...Broadway style.

Thanks for the ride! 


A Comedy Tonight (Zero Mostel, Ensemble, A Funny Thing Happened on the Way
                                         to the Forum)
You Gotta Look Out for Yourself (Gary Kahn, Ensemble, City of Angels)
The Buddy System (Rene Auberjonois, City of Angels)
It's a Perfect Relationship (Judy Holliday, Bells Are Ringing)
You Are Woman (Sydney Chaplin, Barbra Streisand, Funny Girl)
Married (Jack Gilford, Lotte Lenya, Cabaret)
Maybe This Time (Liza Minelli, Cabaret)
The Trolley Song (Judy Garland, Ensemble, Meet Me in St. Louis)
It's Magic (Doris Day, Romance on the High Seas)
S'Wonderful (Gene Kelly, Georges Guetary, An American in Paris)
Who Can I Turn To? (Anthony Newley, The Roar of the Greasepaint, the Smell of
                                         the Crowd)
All of My Life (Phil Silvers, Do Re Mi)
I Want It All (Ensemble, Baby)
Hymn for a Sunday Evening (Paul Lynde, Ensemble, Bye Bye Birdie)

No comments:

Post a Comment