Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Playlist for Sunday, June 1, 2014: How Could You Believe Me?

Real favorites this week...including our Movie Musical Corner, with Judy, Doris, Fred, Jane and Howard!  I'm going to think you know all of these stars by their first names...that's how much confidence I have in you!  From Seven Brides to Summer Stock...and lots in between.  

We're starting off with a few selections from Catch Me If You Can this Sunday...which is new to me! It didn't hang round on Broadway for many performances, but I like the energy of the music. Composed by those same folks who brought us Hairspray, it's got a 60's jive to it, and a Mad Men edge.  Some of it is trying to out-noir City of Angels by channeling Cy Coleman...especially in The Man Inside the Clues. It almost succeeds!

Then a couple of really BIG BALLADS, like Memory from Cats, and And I'm Telling You I'm Not Leaving from Dream Girls...every once in awhile, I get an urge to play those overdone gems (I was going to say bagels, but stopped myself), and that urge has arrived.

ANNNNND we'll finish up with a record-breaking song! One with the longest title of any song in MGM musical history: How Could You Believe Me When I Said I Love You When You Know I've Been a Liar All My Life?  An absolutely wonderful number, done by Fred and Jane Powell, playing that brother and sister team from Royal Wedding.  I could eat it with a spoon! 


The Pinstripes Are All They See (Tom Wopat, Aaron Tveit, Catch Me If You Can)
On a Clear Day You Can See Forever (John Cullum, On a Clear Day You Can See
                           Forever)
This Plum is Too Ripe (Ensemble, The Fantasticks)
Jet Set (Aaron Tveit, Ensemble, Catch Me If You Can)
The Man Inside the Clues (Norbert Leo Butz, Catch Me If You Can)
And I'm Telling You I'm Not Leaving (Jennifer Holliday, Dream Girls)
Send in the Clowns (Glynis Johns, A Little Night Music)
Memory (Betty Buckley, Cats)
Sobbin' Women (Howard keel, Ensemble, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers)
My Romance (Doris Day, Jumbo)
Get Happy (Judy Garland, Summer Stock)
Embraceable You (Harry Groener, Jodi Benson, Crazy for You)
There's Something About You (Dick Christmas, Bernadette Peters, Dames at Sea)
Ooh, Do You Love You! (Linda Lavin, It's a Bird...It's a Plane...It's Superman!)
How Could You Believe Me When I Said I Love You When You Know I've Been a Liar
                            All My Life? (Fred Astaire, Jane Powell, Royal Wedding)

No comments:

Post a Comment