Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Playlist for Sunday, September 1, 2013: September???

If it's September, it must mean it's time to go back to school, and that means the best "back to school" musical ever...Grease.  Followed quickly by Zombie Prom!  A drive-in, a dance, and a couple of "malts," with a lot of tongue-in-cheek Frankie Vallee high notes and pep squad enthusiasm.  Geez, those were the days.

The Speed Test, from Thoroughly Modern Millie, is a real favorite...they stole the melody from a Gilbert & Sullivan patter song, and it's a real ear worm.  I found myself singing it on my run yesterday.  Over and over.  And over.  Sorry, but I've gotta infect you...I mean, play it for you!  Then there's Danny Kaye, from Two by Two, that Richard Rodgers get-on-the-ark-already musical from 1970.  Danny broke his ankle halfway thru the run, and performed in a wheel chair, then on crutches.  Then he went on to ham up his performance.  Rodgers was outraged.  The audience was elated.  It beat the script, hands down!

And I REALLY hope we have time for The Drowsy Chaperone "entry:" I Am Aldolpho!  Breaks me up every time.

Happy trails...and "see you" on Sunday!


Summer Nights (Barry Bostwick, Carol Demas, Grease)
Jonny, Don't Go (Jessica Snow-Wilson, Zombie Prom)
Alone at a Drive-In Movie (Barry Bostwick, Grease)
Bidin' My Time (Ensemble, Crazy for You)
Moonshine Lullaby (Ethel Merman, Annie Get Your Gun)
Menu Song (Debra Monk, Cass Morgan, Pump Boys and Dinettes)
You've Gotta Have a Rudder on the Ark (Danny Kaye, Two by Two)
You and Me (But Mostly Me) (Andrew Rannells, Josh Gad, The Book of Mormon)
The Speed Test (Marc Kudisch, Sutton Foster, Thoroughly Modern Millie)
A Secretary is Not a Toy (Ensemble, How to Succeed)
What the Well Dressed Man is Wearing (Cpl. James Cross, This is the Army)
Dress Big (Nathan Lane, Burke Moses, The Frogs)
Expose (Richard Muenz, Karen Murphey, Zombie Prom)
I am Aldolpho! (Don McKellar, The Drowsy Chaperone)



No comments:

Post a Comment