Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Playlist for Sunday, August 25, 2013: Back from Vacation

Well, after a week's vacation, I'm back, full of spit and vinegar and MORE BROADWAY. 

Irene Ryan starts 2 on the Aisle off this week, in her tour de force role as Berthe in Pippin, 1972.  Irene had an incredible 50 plus years in the entertainment industry, including that cranky Granny role on The Beverly Hillbillies. Who knew she could sing, and yet who doubted it?  Highlights after that selection include "I'm Coming Out of My Shell," sung by Snail from A Year with Frog and Toad, and "The Passenger's Always Right," from Sail Away, that Noel Coward gem from 1961 that ran amok (and aground) in record breaking time for Broadway.

"Love, You Didn't Do Right by Me," from White Christmas (the musical!) is a little disappointing.  I mean, who can get those Rosemary Clooney/Peggy Lee versions out of your head long enough to appreciate someone ELSE singing it?  The critics had a hard time too, and gave that show the boot.  However, I like the idea of playing White Christmas selections in the middle of August.

Enjoy!

No Time At All (Irene Ryan, Pippin)
Watch My Dust (Robert Hooks, Hallelujah, Baby!)
Sail Away (James Hurst, Sail Away)
Love You Didn't Do Right to Me/How Deep is the Ocean? (Kelly O'Malley,
                                  Stephen Bogardus, White Christmas)
Rita's Tune (Stacey Logan, Sweet Smell of Success)
Old Sayin's (Melvyn Douglas, Shirley Booth, Juno and the Paycock)
It's So Simple (Fritz Weaver, Peter Sallis, Baker Street)
I'm Coming Out of My Shell (Frank Vlastnik, A Year with Frog and Toad)
If I Could've Been (Ensemble, Working)
Big, Blonde and Beautiful (Mary Bond Davis, Harvey Fierstein, et.al., Hairspray)
I Like Em Fat Like That (Ensemble, Five Guys Named Moe)
Lie to Me (Sherie Rene Scott, Brian Stokes-Mitchell, Women on the Verge of a
                                   Nervous Breakdown)
He Did It!  (Ensemble, Curtains)
What Do We Do? We Fly! (Ensemble, Do I Hear a Waltz?)
The Passenger's Always Right (Charles Braswell, Ensemble, Sail Away)



No comments:

Post a Comment