Monday, April 15, 2024

Playlist for Sunday, April 21, 2024: Save the Oomph!

I've always loved the opening number of Paint Your Wagon. "Where am I going? I don't know...When will I get there? I ain't certain...All I know is I am on my way." Doesn't that just say it all? We're all careening about, like bumper cars, not a straight line in our progress to be seen, but in this song, those dopey miners seem to feel pretty positive about it. "I'm on my way." Confidence, in the face of Confusion. It'll work out. I'll still get to "the gold".


Clint, Jean, and Lee...this is their hopeful (bathed) look.

Maybe that's why I love Julian Marsh in 42nd Street..."you're going out a youngster, but you're gonna come back a star!" And Ethel/Mamma Rose (the definitive stage mom/monster) with "Everything's Comin' Up Roses". Okay, so you're playing Paducah (on a pole) this week, but next week??? The Palace. Why not?

 

"And you say Allentown?"
Jerry Orbach and Karen Ziemba in 42nd Street
 

 

Mamma Rose sees roses in Sandra Church's future.

I guess Broadway is the ultimate paint on your wagon. Emblazoned in red, hope and passions running high. It's all gonna work out. Stand by and watch. That's the hook. Just wait and watch what happens!

As you can tell, I'm waxing a tad philosophic because it's Jazz90.1's pledge drive, and we have to "make the donuts" (and enough donuts) to last another 6 months. Some folks don't believe we'd fade out and off the airways without a financial injection twice a year, but we would. You are our only support! No big brothers with nasty cigars out there, holding us up. So if you want more Broadway Oomph in your life on a weekly basis (or jazzy drives to work, or bluesy all-nighters, or big band memories to swing with in your kitchen), show us some love. Jump on Jazz901.org...and throw us some moola. 

We only need enough to keep the wagon painted (and hopes high). :) 

 




Lullaby Of Broadway (Jerry Orbach, Wanda Richert, Company, 42nd Street)

Bells Are Ringing (Ensemble, Bells Are Ringing)

On My Own (Syd Chaplin, Bells Are Ringing)

I'm Going Back (Judy Holliday, Bells Are Ringing)

Watch What Happens (Kara Lindsay, Newsies)

Carrying The Banner (The Newsboys, Newsies)

Consider Yourself (Bruce Prochnik, Davy Jones, Ensemble, Oliver!)

As Long As He Needs Me (Georgia Brown, Oliver!)

You've Got To Pick A Pocket Or Two (Clive Revill, Ensemble, Oliver!)

I'm On My Way (Ensemble, Paint Your Wagon)

They Call The Wind Mariah (Rufus Smith, Ensemble, Paint Your Wagon)

Wandrin' Star (Lee Marvin, Ensemble, Paint Your Wagon)

The Yodel Blues (They Talk A Different Language)(Mary Hatcher, Kenny Delmar, Texas, Lil' Darlin')

By The Mississinewah (Ethel Merman, Paula Lawrence, Something For The Boys)

Way Out West (Judy Kaye, Babes In Arms) 

Back On Top (Patti LuPone, War Paint)

Fire And Ice (Eric Liberman, Ensemble, War Paint)

Pink (Christine Ebersole, War Paint)

I Got Rhythm (Ethel Merman, Girl Crazy)

Eadie Was A Lady (Ethel Merman, Girl Crazy)

Everything's Comin' Up Roses (Ethel Merman, Gypsy)

Deep Beneath The City/Not There Yet (Company, In Transit)

Saturday Night Obsession (Erin Mackey, In Transit)

A Little Friendly Advice (Moya Angela, In Transit)

Shuffle Off To Buffalo (Carol Cooke, Joseph Bova, 42nd Street)

A Quarter To Nine (Tammy Grimes, Wanda Richert, 42nd Street)

We're In The Money (Karen Pruczik, Jeri Kansas, Ginny King, Ensemble, 42nd Street)


No comments:

Post a Comment