Monday, May 18, 2020

Playlist For May 24, 2020: Queen Moi

So once upon a time, another 2 or 3 lives ago (like a cat, I will hopefully have at least 9), a roommate of mine suggested a "game"...well, it was hardly a game. No prizes for winning. No humiliation for losing. What kind of a game is that, I ask you? But, anyway. She said it would involve choosing 2 or 3 songs that she thought would be a good THEME SONG for me and I would do the same for her. (This is not a game at all! Why did she even call it a game? Games used to require colorful boards, dice, spinners, pretend money, large bowls of bad-for-you snacks (fruit? smeh!), and sometimes a Mystery Date! This "game" included none of these. Harrumph.)


  A couple of REAL GAMES! 



She chose for me: Some Karen Carpenter song ("Close To You?" "Top Of The World"?) and that Mary Tyler Moore Show theme song (you know, where she tosses her hat up into the air?). I guess this must have been before I became acerbic and bitter (Life 5), because these songs now set my teeth on edge and send my blood sugar into the ionosphere (which I know is really high, cuz I speak Star Trek re-runs).

No longer me.
(Tho I may be that disaproving dame behind her now.)


I chose for her: Well, I totally forget what I chose for her. One thing hasn't changed, and that is my narcissistic perspective. That game was all about me, and who cared about her theme song? I mean, really. :) Okay, Deb-or-ah, (always pronounced with 3 syllables. Hence, why we never talk anymore), you can have (in hindsight) Linda Ronstadt's "When Will I Be Loved?" cuz I do remember you loved her. See, I'm not the navel-gazer you SAID I was. Jesus, DEBBIE!


 (Photo of Deb-or-ah here. If I effing had one.)



ALLLLL that to say, I'm going to play that "game" again ON AIR. Now that I've come to Life 8, it's time to re-do and re-think the possibilities, this time in a Carpenter-less, Broadway style. So I'm foisting all the facets of MOI on TOI, from Queen Lucy to Queen Bacall, seeking contenders (or should I say, "contendahs?) from Undecided and Uptown to Show Off and Shy...and I'm even throwing in a French corner, cuz if I'm frank, Shirley, I do pretend to be French on my father's mother's cousin's side. From time to time. I think that was Life 7. ALSO, 3 theme songs that my parents held near and dear. Just to be nice.


 Yup, that's my style.

And if you hate all this, you can blame Otto Bruno. He brought it up (like a Hairball On The Cat Bed Of Life) by doing a similarly-based show a few weeks back. And that show brought back all the memories. In fact, I'm sending him my therapy bills for the next couple of sessions.

Enuf. Hey, what's YOUR theme song? Don't send it. I have a navel to watch. 


But Alive (Lauren Bacall, Applause)
Not For The Life Of Me (Sutton Foster, Thoroughly Modern Millie)
Take Back Your Mink (Vivian Blaine, Guys And Dolls)
Nobody (Corey Cott, Laura Osnes, Ensemble, The Band Stand)
The God-Why-Don't-You-Love-Me Blues (Gene Nelson, Follies)
Gotta Be This Or That (Guy Stroman, Jason Graae, Ensemble, Forever Plaid)
Who's That Girl? (Lauren Bacall, Applause)
Uptown, Downtown (Craig Lucas, Marry Me A Little)
My Own Morning (Leslie Uggams, Hallelujah, Baby!)
One Step (Loni Ackerman, George S. Andrews, Starting Here, Starting Now)
Never Never Land (Mary Martin, Peter Pan)
The Happy Time (Robert Goulet, The Happy Time)
Times Are Hard For Dreamers (Savvy Crawford, Amelie)
Si Tu N'etais Pas La (Frehel, Amelie)
Le Moulin (Instrumental, Amelie)
Parlez-Moi D'Amour (Lucienne Boyer, The Moderns)
Little Mary Sunshine (Eileen Brennan, Little Mary Sunshine)
Queen Lucy (Reva Rose, Bob Balaban, You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown)
Shy (Carol Burnett, Once Upon A Mattress)
Show Off (Sutton Foster, The Drowsy Chaperone)
Rum And Coca-Cola (The Andrews Sisters)
Chattanooga Choo-Choo (The Glenn Miller Orchestra)
Stardust (Artie Shaw And His Orchestra)
You Took Advantage of Me (Elaine Stritch, Stritch)
I'm Still Here (Elaine Stritch, Elaine Stritch At Liberty)
What's Gonna Happen (Sarah Stiles, Tootsie)
A Beat Behind (Bernadette Peters, Scott Wise, The Goodbye Girl)
Lullaby Of Broadway (Jerry Orbach, Wanda Richert, 42nd Street)

No comments:

Post a Comment