Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Playlist for Sunday, Feb. 15, 2015: Not Your Average Valentine!


 Last Valentines Day?  Yup, I did the prerequisite hour of love songs...all the big Rodgers and Hammerstein ballads, the Lerner and Loewes, the "don't throw bouquets at me's," the "if I loved you's," the stuff you have to see your dentist right after (because of the sugar and all)....and it was pretty dang sappy.  I'm just not that type a gal, okay?  I've always preferred the acerbic anti-love character song...the "No Way Are You Gettin' Away With That" tune, the "Never Wear that Purple Tie Again, if You Want to Live" anthem, the "You're Nuts if You Think I'm in..." love song.  So that's what we're doing, 2 hours of Anti-Valentines Day Songs on 2 on the Aisle!

We've got stuff from musicals....like The Pajama Game, Promises Promises, Goldilocks (3 from that one!  Banner!), and Hello Dolly! Solo stuff from Darin, Lee, Day, Sinatra, Bennett...and even some Harry James.  Everybody recorded this stuff, so I am evidently not alone in my regard for it....Just wait til you hear Audra get all outta sorts with "Down with Love!"  And you thought I was bitter!?

Which leads me to my last point: Don't read in.  Not everything a DJ plays has extra special meaning, okay?  I mean, that's what my therapist said, anyway.

XOX 


Lovesick (Sherie Rene Scott, Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown)
I'm Not at all in Love (Janis Paige, The Pajama Game)
I'm Glad I'm Single (Ensemble, The Gay Life)
No One'll Ever Love You (Elaine Stritch, Don Ameche, Goldilocks)
I Hate Men (Patricia Morison, Kiss Me, Kate)
She's Not Enough Woman for Me (Richard Kiley Leonard Stone, Redhead)
I Resolve (Barbara Baxley, She Loves Me)
Shakespeare Lied (Hiram Sherman, Brenda Vaccaro, How Now Dow Jones)
She is Not Thinking of Me (Daniel Massey, Gigi)
Thinking of No One But Me (Dee Hoty, George Irving, Me and My Girl)
It Takes a Woman (David Burns, Ensemble, Hello, Dolly)
You'll Get Yours (Frank Sinatra)
Put 'Em in a Box, Tie 'Em with a Ribbon, and Throw 'Em in the Deep Blue Sea
                   (Doris Day, Romance on the High Seas)
Love, You Didn't Do Right By Me (Peggy Lee, Black Coffee)
After You've Gone (Bobby Darin)
I Wanna Be Around (Tony Bennett)
Down with Love (Audra McDonald)
That'll Be the Day (Ensemble, The Happiest Girl in the World)
Abracadabra (June Havoc, Mexican Hayride)
I Can't Be in Love (Don Ameche, Goldilocks)
What You Don't Know About Women (Kay McClelland, Randy Graff, City of Angels)
I'm Through with Love (Marilyn Monroe, Some Like it Hot)
Moon Song (Annette Hanshaw)
Who's Sorry Now (Harry James and His Orchestra featuring Willie Smith)
Goody Goody (Julie London)
But Not for Me (Chet Backer)
I'm All I've Got (Michele Lee, Bravo Giovanni)
It's a Helluva Way to Run a Love Affair (Shirl Conway, Plain and Fancy)
The Beast in You (Elaine Stritch, Goldilocks)
Single Man Drought (Melissa Weil, Jennifer SImard, I Love You, You're Perfect,
                     Now Change)
Be Good or Be Gone (Debra Monk, Pump Boys and Dinettes)
Getting Married Today (Beth Howland, Company)
I'll Never Fall in Love Again (Kristin Chenowith, Promises Promises)
Safe, Sane and Single (Ensemble, Five Guys Named Moe)
I'll Be Glad When You're Dead (You Rascal You) (Ensemble, Bullets Over Broadway)
So Long, Dearie (Carol Channing, Hello Dolly)  

No comments:

Post a Comment