Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Playlist for Sunday, October 5, 2014: Find Out What They Like!


That playlist title above comes of course from a Fats Waller tune, one that was included in "Ain't Misbehavin'" back in 1978, when I first came to live in New York City.  Living just two blocks from the Times Square area, the "poster" for that show (poster? it was 6 stories high!) was one I saw everyday, walking to the terrifying subway to get to my terrifying temp job. Once I got past TERRIFYING, I could start appreciating the shows, which back then could be seen for the price of an SRO ticket ($8.00) and you'd stand in the back, watching Nell Carter in this show, or Liza in The Act, or....

That playlist title ALSO accounts for the type of show this Sunday.  When folks request their favorite Broadway, I do indeed FIND OUT what they like, but when they don't, I'm left to my own sinister devices, and that's what we have here.  A very mixed bag of a show...from Dirty Rotten Number(s) with city sleaze attitude to 1950s doo-wop nostalgia, from Lena Horne class to Danny Kaye corn! I even stuck in a Legally Blonde number...so if you don't like chaos, please call me with "what You Like" and "how you like it!"  Otherwise....

Happy October, btw!


The Movin' Uptown Blues (Adam Grupper, Stuart Zagnit, The Wild Party)
Welcome to the Night (John Lithgow, Brian D'Arcy James, Sweet Smell of Success)
Dirty Rotten Number (John Lithgow, Norbert Leo Butz, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels)
Serious (Richard H. Blake, Laura Bell Bundy, Legally Blonde)
Island (Sherie Rene Scott, Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown)
Those Magic Changes (Ensemble, Grease)
Moments to Remember (Ensemble, Forever Plaid)
We Go Together (Barry Bostwick, Carole Demas, Ensemble, Grease)
Life Could Not Better Be (Danny Kaye, The Court Jester)
Triplets (Fred Astaire, Jack Buchanan, Nanette Fabray, The Bandwagon)
I Wants to Stay Here (Lena Horne, Porgy and Bess)
Find Out What They Want (Nell Carter, Armelia McQueen, Ain't Misbehavin')
Give Them What They Want (John Lithgow, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels)
I Can Live With That (Danny Burstein, Melissa Weil, I Love You, You're Perfect, Now
                         Change)
Find Yourself a Man (Kay Medford, Ensemble, Funny Girl)



No comments:

Post a Comment