Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Playlist for Sunday, June 8, 2014: The Musicals of Rodgers and Hammerstein

A couple of weeks ago, I had what I thought was a brilliant idea for a show:  The Blockbusters!  The big boffo hits of Broadway...which would probably include musicals like Oklahoma, South Pacific, The Sound of Music....well, pretty soon I realized that 9 out of my 10 song choices had 2 things in common.  Rodgers and Hammerstein.  So a show dedicated to those great song writers seemed the "thing to do!"

Along with the biggies that this team produced between 1943 and 1959, I've also included their "also rans." They had 3 flops, Allegro, Me and Juliet, and Pipe Dream, and although none were the financial successes that Oklahoma and Carousel proved to be, they each have some wonderfully quirky songs and characters, and hey, you know how I love quirky!

If I didn't pick your favorite Rodgers and Hammerstein melodies this time, my apologies.  There are so many great songs in these shows, and I was frustrated as to which ones I could fit into this short 2 on the Aisle hour.  Guess I'll have to do a sequel (R&H 2.0) soon! 



The Sound of Music (Mary Martin, The Sound of Music)
The Surrey with the Fringe On Top (Alfred Drake, Joan Roberts, Oklahoma)
I Cain't Say No (Gloria Grahame, Oklahoma)
June is Bustin' Out All Over (Christine Johnson, Ensemble, Carousel)
It Might as Well Be Spring (Andrea McCardle, State Fair)
There is Nothin' Like a Dame (Luther Billis, Ensemble, South Pacific)
A Wonderful Guy (Mary Martin, South Pacific)
I Whistle a Happy Tune (Gertrude Lawrence, The King and I)
Shall We Dance? (Gertrude Lawrence, Yul Brynner, The King and I)
The Man I Used to Be (William Johnson, Pipe Dream)
The Gentleman is a Dope (Lisa Kirk, Allegro)
We Deserve Each Other (Joan McCracken, Bob Fortier, Me and Juliet)
In My Own Little Corner (Lea Salonga, Cinderella)
A Hundred Million Miracles (Myoshi Umeki, Ensemble, Flower Drum Song)
My Favorite Things (Mary Martin, The Sound of Music)
Edelweiss (Theodore Bikel, The Sound of Music)
Oklahoma Finale (Company, Oklahoma)

No comments:

Post a Comment