Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Playlist for April 20, 2014: Join Us, Leave Your Cheese to Sour!


Yes, Pippin opens 2 on the Aisle this Sunday...love the opening number, Magic to Do!  This is from the original production from 1972, which included Ben Vereen and Irene Ryan and Jill Clayburgh.  And Bob Fosse to show them what to do and where to go...while they were singing Stephen Schwartz's music.

We've also got a royal flush, four songs about a Princess, a Prince, a King and a Queen...a juxtaposition you won't often see, musically!  From "Mattress" to "Miss Spectacular" to "Camelot" to Charlie Brown...why not?  I also have something for my youngest fan, who is 3 years old.  She requested "Under the Sea," so how could I refuse?

We'll round things out with Carol Burnett's rendition of "I'm Still Here," which I always associate with Elaine Stritch...but Carol does a great job with this Sondheim number, recorded as part of a Lincoln Center concert version of Follies.  And we've also got a couple of numbers from Working, which tho it reeks of the 70s, I love! Let's have some fun....


Magic to Do (Company, Pippin)
An Opening for a Princess (Ensemble, Once Upon a Mattress)
Where in the World is My Prince? (Faith Prince, Miss Spectacular)
I Wonder What the King is Doing Tonight (Richard Burton, Camelot)
Queen Lucy (Reva Rose, Bob Balaban, You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown)
Under the Sea (Samuel E. Wright, The Little Mermaid)
I Have Confidence (Julie Andrews, The Sound of Music)
Everybody Says Don't (Ensemble, Side by Side by Sondheim/Anyone Can
                             Whistle)
Not a Day Goes By (Jim Walton, Merrily We Roll Along)
I'm Still Here (Carol Burnett, Follies)
Neat to be a Newsboy (John Rushton, Working)
It's an Art (Delores Dante, Ensemble, Working)
Put on a Happy Face (Dick VanDyke, Bye Bye Birdie)
Be Like the Bluebird (Mickey Deems, Anything Goes)
Tap Your Troubles Away (Lisa Kirk, Mack & Mabel)


No comments:

Post a Comment