Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Playlist for Sunday, February 9, 2014: Just So Classic!

From Cole Porter to Frank Loesser to Richard Rodgers, this show has classics, with a capital CLASS.  I felt the urge to merge with Kiss Me Kate, Guys and Dolls, plus a lot of other old favorites this week, so that's what we're doing.  So many favorites, I can't pick just one, although in hunting for a Cyril Ritchard goodie (done as a request, but who doesn't want to play Cyril!?!?), I found that peculiar little "Oh My Mysterious Lady" from Peter Pan.  It's when Captain Hook is momentarily fooled into thinking Peter Pan is a lady (and of course he is, cuz it's Mary Martin, for lord's sake)...so it's, shall we say, comic relief.  Cyril slayed me when I was only 5 years old, back in Kindergarten.  My favorite villian, bar none.

Our Movie Musical Corner has samples from Singin' in the Rain and Top Hat.  Those selections held surprises...when I researched "Fit as a Fiddle" and "Singin' in the Rain," I found they were very old songs, done by several different performers in several different shows. They have a history as long as your arm...

Next week, a Broadway Valentine show.  I'll try not to get too sappy!


Le Jazz Hot (Julie Andrews, Victor/Victoria)
Another Op'nin', Another Show (Ensemble, Kiss Me Kate)
Tom, Dick or Harry (Lisa Kirk, Ensemble, Kiss Me Kate)
Bianca (Harold Lang, Kiss Me Kate)
Take Back Your Mink (Vivian Blaine, Guys and Dolls)
Guys and Dolls (Sam Levene, Stubby Kaye, Johnny Silver, Guys and Dolls)
It Never Entered My Mind (Shirley Ross, Higher and Higher)
They Say It's Wonderful (Ethel Merman, Annie Get Your Gun)
La La La (Noelle Adam, Alvin Epstein, No Strings)
Singin' in the Rain (Gene Kelly, Singin' in the Rain)
Top Hat, White Tie, and Tails (Fred Astaire, Top Hat)
Fit as a Fiddle (Gene Kelly, Donald O'Connor, Singin' in the Rain)
I Don't Remember You/Sometimes a Day Goes By (Robert Cuccioli, Jim Walton,
                             And the World Goes Round)
But Not For Me (Bobby Short, Girl Crazy)
I'll Never Be Jealous Again (Reta Shaw, Eddie Foy, Jr., The Pajama Game)
Oh, My Mysterious Lady (Cyril Ritchard, Mary Martin, Peter Pan)


No comments:

Post a Comment