Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Playlist for Sunday, Jan. 12, 2013: Well, of All the Rotten Shows!

While my fingers remain (for the moment) unfrozen, and chilblains nibble at my toes, let us get to this coming Sunday's show!  My favorites this week have to be a.) "You Should See Yourself," from Sweet Charity, a song I have only recently discovered.  It seems even better knowing that this song was sung to Charlie, Charity's "boyfriend" JUST before he steals her wallet and pushes her into Central Park Lake. Annnnnnd b.) two selections from Little Shop of Horrors, because Ellen Greene just slays me, and I also love the 50s doo-wop sound that this show throws at ya.

I've recently discovered "The Secret Garden" which ran on Broadway in the early 1990s...and we'll hear "If I Had a Fine White Horse" this week.  The show has a poppy sort of sound and a cast with excellent voices, so we'll be playing more of this goodie in the future! 

I just finished reading "Fosse," the new biography by Sam Wasson, and now I want to see/listen to all the shows and movies that Bob Fosse ever did.  An excellent read if you are a Broadway-phile. 

"See" you Sunday! 


Hang Up (Mae Barnes, By the Beautiful Sea)
Skid Row/Downtown (Ensemble, Little Shop of Horrors)
Suddenly Seymour (Ellen Greene, Lee Wilkof, Little Shop of Horrors)
No Man Left for Me (Dee Hoty, The Will Rogers Follies)
Gimme Gimme (Sutton Foster, Thoroughly Modern Millie)
A House is Not a Home (Christin Chenoweth, Promises Promises)
The Music and the Mirror (Donna McKechnie, A Chorus Line)
He Tossed a Coin (Hal Linden, The Rothschilds)
Baubles, Bangles and Beads (Doretta Morrow, Kismet)
You Would if You Could (Jane Summerhays, Robert Lindsay, Me and My Girl)
If I Had a Fine White Horse (Alison Fraser, Daisy Eagan, The Secret Garden)
You Should See Yourself (Gwen Verdon, Sweet Charity)
The Beauty that Drives Men Mad (Tony Roberts, Robert Morse, Sugar)
Well, of All the Rotten Shows! (Ensemble, Face the Music)

No comments:

Post a Comment