Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Playlist for Sunday, Nov. 10, 2013: Iconic, Eccentric, and all that stuff in Between

Well, no matter how I try, I just cannot do a show that is stuffed with only BIG, award-winning, audience-pleasing musicals.  I can add two or three, like an Oklahoma, maybe something from Carousel, and then I have to break loose and throw in some cult classics, some weird flop that nobody but Broadway geeks (like myself, and I must say I am honored to be part of that group) know about.  Sorry, but that's the way I roll.

But that's a good thing, because if I play the also-rans, the peculiar little musicals that never had a chance, then you'll hear them and love them like I do.  I just know it.

So here, for example...after we hear a bit of Kismet and South Pacific and The King and I, we ascend (okay, some would say descend) into It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's Superman, and then Fade Out Fade In, and then ....well, you get the idea.  This show runs the gamut.  One newbie is Marie Christine, a 1999 creation of Michael John LaChiusa, with Audra McDonald.  It didn't do well at the starting gate, but I think we'll be seeing this show produced as a well-respected opera someday.  Remember I said that, okay???

Thanks for joining me on Sunday, at 3, at Jazz 90.1FM! 


Big D (Susan Johnson, Shorty Long, The Most Happy Fella)
There is Nothin' Like a Dame (Myron McCormick, Ensemble, South Pacific)
I Never Had a Chance (Walter Chiari, The Gay Life)
Night of My Nights (Richard Kiley, Kismet)
I Have Dreamed (Larry Douglas, Doretta Morrow, The King and I)
The Woman for the Man (Jack Cassidy, It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's Superman)
My Fortune is My Face (Jack Cassidy, Fade Out - Fade In)
Love Sneaks In (John Lithgow, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels)
Too Soon (Lillian Roth, I Can Get it For You Wholesale)
The World Goes 'Round (Brenda Pressley, The World Goes 'Round)
Island (Sherie Rene Scott, Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown)
Way Back to Paradise (Audra McDonald, Marie Christine)
The Late, Late Show (Phil Silvers, Do Re Mi)
Muqin (Harriet Sansom Harris, Thoroughly Modern Millie)




No comments:

Post a Comment